Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

svchost hogging CPU

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Corday 
#1 ·
I am running XP on my desktop. Over the past couple of weeks I found that the CPU would run to 100 percent, effectively freezing my computer. Looked in task manager and found a version of svchost was the problem. Downloaded process explorer and found that within that version of svchost, wuauserv was the problem. If I kill that particular process, the computer works fine.

The problem with killing wuauserv is that I no longer can get windows updates. I tried to get updates manually by visiting windowsupdate.microsoft.com. However, when I try to update, the wuauserv process re-starts, and hogs the CPU to 100 percent, and the computer freezes again.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

#5 ·
Yeah RIP future XP updates. I recently had a similiar problem in 7 though; I'd see my internet activity monitor shooting through 100+ kb/s, and found it tied to svchost. I added it's process to NetLimiter (trial edition's) firewall, but when the trial expired... I found out that some updates really tax your computer, regardless of power (they even give a warning). I never reached 100%, but my computer was rendered all but useless until I disabled windows update; it got so bad at one point I couldn't even study because pdfs, txts, and html pages wouldn't scroll while windows was updating. There are manual ways to patch if I recall, and I do like to collect redistributables, but not sure if all updates can be done this way. Odly, my laptop never has this problem, and it runs the same OS.

#9 ·
@Satrow:
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the update that was suggested in the article, and it did not fix the problem. I was able to download and install the update with no problem. At the end of the installation, I was asked to restart, which I did. When the computer booted back up, the CPU was back to 100%. When I looked at the processes using processexplorer, wuauserv was back up and running. When I stopped wuauserv, the CPU usage dropped immediately and I was able to use the computer.

@Receng: I am using IE8

I appreciate all the advice and suggestions and will continue to try to fix the problem. Thank you.

#13 ·
Thanks Satrow. As a newbie, I'm afraid I have to ask a few dumb questions.

I did disable windows auto update completely. Each time I reboot my computer, the update service remains turned off, but wuauserv starts up until I kill it in processexplorer. When I try to go to the windows update website and look for updates, wuauserv turns back on automatically and CUP shoots to 100%. When I kill wuauserv in processexplorer, I get an error message saying that I can no longer use the update site because auto update is turned off.

Is what you are suggesting I do something different?

Thank you for your help and your patience.

#11 ·
Go to Start/Run and type CMD and press enter
In the Command Prompt type:
Net Stop wuauserv
Delete the contents of this folder (or the folder itself) & reboot:
C:WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore
Or Rename C:WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution to C:WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution.old & Reboot.
Back in the Command Prompt type
Net Start wuauserv

#15 ·
Well, Geo, I would just recommend using the Big Hammer on it and restore it back to OOB (Out-Of-Box condition) if you can't live with waiting for Microsoft to fix their update problems; you might be waiting until you collect Social Security!

And, don't forget to: BACKUP ALL OF YOUR CRITICAL DATA TO AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE, FLASH DRIVE, CD/DVD DISCS, OR ONLINE CLOUD ACCOUNT!

And, here's a link to help you get started: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-factory-restore-your-computer-637463.html.

BBJ

#18 ·
I guess the Geek Gods were smiling on me yesterday! Turned on the computer and no more SVCHost hogging CPU. Turned on auto updates and still no problem. Went to Windows Update and tried to check for updates. Said I needed 17 updates. Hit "install" but all installs failed. I was able to download and install each update individually but not as a group. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.