Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PC Crashing, Don't know if its case?`

2K views 33 replies 7 participants last post by  kieron0569 
#1 ·
My problem is, My PC keeps crashing, This is getting very annoying and the only thing I can think of would be it's over heating. I have a stock case, but some of the components inside my case are bought. I have a 750W psu, Nvida graphics card 8gb DDR3 Ram, and only one case fan. my graphics card is facing downwards towards the metal and im sure this is making it overheat.

When my pc crashes its either two things, one my screen goes black, and i have to turn it off and on again,

My pc crashes the screen freezes but still picture but cannot do anything and a weird noise is played like the noise that was being played has froze.

If this topic is in the wrong section can someone please move it. Thank you

#2 ·
Hello kieron0596,

What is your PC? (Brand and Model number).

Also, what brand is the 750W replacement PSU?

#3 ·
Hello, Thanks for the reply. My specs are

Emachine
Model: ET1862
Intel(R) Core (TM) I3 CPU 550 @ 3.20 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (Corsair)
System type: 64-bit operating system
HDD: 320GB

Graphics card: Nvdia PNY Gefore GTS 450
PSU: XFX Pro 750W

I'm using Dual monitor, 23.6" and 20".

My case is Stock, with only one case fan.

Other fans include, PSU fan, CPU Fan, Graphics card fan,

My graphics card is on its side as my case is built that way so my graphics card fan is blowing downwards to a metal sheet which is about 1 inch away from the graphics card.

#4 ·
Hey there kieron0569 i know my answer with be very simple but, it's sometimes the simpliest thing who does the ****.
3 days ago, i unpluged my computer to clean it with a dust cleaner and when i connected it again, it was doing restarts like maniac!
I happened 3 times, after i decided to unplug it again and replug.

Soooooo... ( cool story bro xD) so.. just try to remove the cables, and connect them again.

The cables that i am talking about are about the PSU.
If you dont know how to do that, you can just watch a video on youtube :).
It's realy helpful.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/members/kieron0569-864386.html

#6 · (Edited)
By the way, One time when it crashed it said something about CMOS.. I can't remember though. On sticker on motherboard says " h57h-am2 "

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg26/scaled.php?server=26&filename=moboo.png&res=medium

Ram is - 2* Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 Desktop Memory 4GB: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg803/scaled.php?server=803&filename=ramc.png&res=medium

--

Thank you, I'll try take it out of wall/machine, and put it back in. I'm assuming that's what you meant :eek:.

#5 ·
What are the specs of the AM? OEM Mobo's can have problems with some RAM brands.
Crucial is the better choice for OEM and lower tier Mobo's to help insure compatibility.
The fan placement on the bottom of the GPU is normal and the fan blows up onto the GPU.
Check your Temps and Voltages in the Bios.

#7 ·
Huh? If you want to try to be ironic, then FINE!
I just wanted to help you.

#11 ·
Ah, thanks :).
I hope that he will take care of the static o.o.

2)Thought solution two, there's a chance to windows who are pirated to cause such problems (if yours are).
Or even, your computer can just have a virus.

#12 ·
No my windows Is genuine, and I do not believe I have a virus.. Like I said though before when my pc crashed before it said lots of stuff about bios then said CMOS error Press F1 to go to bios

or something along them lines..

Ps: don't worry about the above posts :p <3

#13 ·
Hmm, did you try the first solution i gave you?

#18 ·
Simple try if you suspect the case, set the components up outside the case.
My logic is, the problem didn't occur before installing the Corsair RAM and OEM/lower tier Mobo's can have issues with RAM brand.

#27 ·
depends on what you want from a mobo. Asus Rog boards are about 300$£

follow the advice above before doing anything.

if you do buy a new mobo you may have to buy a new case as Tyree has pointed out oem systems are built the way the manufacturer wants and not really to the mainstream standards i.e by that I mean a proper atx midi tower is normally a bit bigger than a dell atx midi tower, not by much but there is still a difference. The same goes for the motherboards.

#20 ·
Do you still have the original RAM???

I would try using the original RAM and see if you have the issue still. As Tyree stated, the Corsair RAM may be having a detrimental effect.

Also, you may want to look into replacing the CMOS battery. It is the coin-cell battery located on the motherboard. They can be purchased at most stores that sell watch batteries.

#22 ·
To find which motherboard fits in your case, first of all you have to know if it actual can fit in the case by its size.
Second, you have to see your CPU's socket, RAM, graphics card, hard drivers, cd-roms, fans, in no words - everything!

#24 ·
Hehe :D
Yea it is, i can undestand you.
But there is no other way..
However, it's not that hard as it seems to be.
Just post your Computer's currect spec, and the staff of techsupport forum will help you to find one.I cant help you on this part because i do not know how to choose a motherboard.But what i told you this far is the only way.

#25 ·
Ok i will try to tell you the basics.

What you have to see before buying new motherboard.

1)You have to know your RAM's DDR and how much you have now so you will take a motherboard who can take the size of your current RAM. ( mine is DDR2 ) ( my motherboard can take maximun 4GB)

2) You have to know your CPU socket

3) You have to know your graphic's card connection socket

4) You have to know the size of your currect MB so, the next one will have the exactly same size to fit in your case or else you will need to buy a new case too.

What to check on the new motherboard.

1) You have to be sure, it has all the DDR sockets you need for your RAM cards. (example, if you have 2x2GB RAM, you will need 2 DDR sockets 1 for each card)

2) You have to be sure it has the correct PCI express socket, as far as i know, PCI express can take all the pci-e 2.xx versions .

3) Be sure you have the correct socket for your CPU, and be sure your new motherboard can take AMD processors(if you have one), because some motherboards dont, like mine.

4) Be sure it can take all your hard disk drivers.

5) >> >> disk rom drivers.

6) Be sure it can take atleast 1 fan.

7) Be sure it has the right pins for your current PSU.

More: I am not sure about these now.

1) To have atleast 1 SATA connector.

P.S: I am sure there are some mistakes on what i said, or they are missing alot of things, but i think i said the most of'em :D

#26 ·
The OP is using a ET1862. OEM PC's commonly use Matx Mobo's.
The OS is tied to the Mobo so changing the Mobo would require a retail copy of Windows.
The simplest solution would be to try a stick of another RAM brand. Crucial brand is the best choice for OEM and lower tier Mobo's to help insure compatibility.

#28 · (Edited)
#29 ·
We can only assess the problem(s) as you have described them.
If the problem started "after" installing the RAM then the RAM would be the primary suspect.

#31 ·
Quick update, was going to build pc out of case to see if its a case problem, instead I took the side panel off and Put a real fan like desk fan next to the case and it blew into it, everything is very cool in the case nothing is hot, yet it still crashes.. so I'm not suspecting its the case anymore, I'll prob go with ram, but it will be annoying If I've spent money for nothing.

#33 ·
First of all, you bought an eMachines. That was mistake #1. I would inspect the board for any leaking or bulging capacitors. Those are the aluminum can-looking things on various parts of the board. This doesn't seem as likely on a pc this new. This problem was more common on xp-era pc's. You could also try resetting the cmos jumper or removing the main power cord from the back of the pc. Then remove the "watch battery" for more than 10 seconds. This does the same thing as resetting the cmos jumper. I would also suspect the video card overheating. Touch the card after its been on a while. Is it too hot to touch for more than a second? Is the fan on the video card spinning ok? Have you ever had a blue screen of death? Or is it just locking up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.