Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hacked gmail

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Basementgeek 
#1 ·
If I have posed this in the wrong place, advice as to where to post it is welcome.

My gmail account was hacked. I advised gmail they cancelled it, I went through the process to get back the account name with a new password. Today, gmail returned an email that I never wrote as undeliverable leading me to believe that my account is still being used by someone. The gmail account is attached to many things including my blog, so I would like to keep the name.

However, it seems I still have the problem and don't know what to do.

Can anyone offer advice?

#2 ·
This does not necessarily mean someone has hacked into your account. You can log in to Gmail and go to sent items and see if that specific email was sent from your account (although this is not a foolproof method). You can also see at the bottom of the Gmail screen when your last activity was.
For interest sake anybody can set up their email account but use your Gmail address as the "reply to" address. In fact this is what a lot of spammers and bots do. The spammer can then send unsolicited email to people and the recipients think the emails come from you.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for your reply, but then what is it called, and yes they sent emails out using, using my address, asking for money because I was in distress somewhere in the world. Also, it appears that now every email sent from that account is returned with this notice:

Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

also with this address written on it:

X-Forwarded-to ts.varga@yahoo.xxy

I could, of course, just ditch the account, it's not that important, but it could happen again so I would like to know a better way to take care of this. Yahoo and google seem to deal with it quite simply. They get the account back, but in this case it appears that someone is still attached to it.r

#7 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.