Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Laptop won't boot up; Power cycles on/off

8K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  IT-Tech 
#1 ·
I am working on a Toshiba L355D. I replaced the dc power jack as it was broken and pushed in. The laptop had been sitting a while (2 months) before making this repair and the battery was dead. I connected it to the ac adapter and let it charge.
The next morning I had a green light for the battery so I pressed the power button. The power light comes on, you can hear the fan, the cd rom comes on and you can hear the hard drive but the power turns off after about 5-10 secs. Then 2-3 secs later power cycles on again and you hear it start then a few secs later it cuts off again. It cycles on a third time then it powers off and stays off.
Nothing ever shows on the screen during these power up attempts. Each time I press the power button the laptop cycles power on/off 3 times.

Help, what could be the problem? Where should I be looking?

#2 ·
Re: Laptop won't boot up; Power cycles on/off

Hi and welcome to TSF!

Since you have replaced the DC jack, you know how to disassemble the laptop.

I would recommend that you test the AC Adapter's output to make sure it matches the labeled output on the bottom.

Please start the troubleshooting by removing the following components; after each removal attempt to power on the laptop.

1. Battery
  2. Memory
  3. Hard Disk Drive
  4. Add-on cards - wireless, bluetooth, etc
  5. optical drive

If none of the above reveal anything, please check the following items:
  1. DC jack
  2. LCD cable between the graphic card and the LCD
  3. LCD Cable in the LCD screen

You didn't say if the system ever ran after repairing the DC jack. Did it ever run?

Thanks!

#3 ·

No it hasn't booted since the repair, but then again it sat for a couple of months before the repair. The first attempt after the repair was the cycling on and off.

On the removal of the items you listed...

1) Should I remove them in the order you listed?
2) Do I remove one, then put it back in before removing the next or...
3) Do I remove one, leave it out and remove the next, etc?

#4 ·

Hi and thanks for the update!

Yes, the top list please do them in order and leave them out as you go thru the process for each one.

If you run into one of these items that will let your system power on, you may replace the ones that were not causing the issue and try again.

The second list are all internal items, so you will have to remove all of the components to get to them anyway.

I'm going to put my money on the DC Jack not being properly installed, but you need to check the rest of the items before you go back to that item.

Thanks!

#5 ·

Well I'm happy to report that all is well and it doesn't appear to have been the dc jack.

I went through the list as you suggested and there was no change. I was a bit frustrated at that point so I :sigh: proceeded to disassemble the entire computer. As it turns out, it was very dirty inside and the fan and heat sink were totally clogged. I cleaned the inside of the case, took out the LCD screen, cleaned it and reassembled the laptop. I took great care to double and triple check every connector and that every screw was in place.

Once back together, I pressed the power button and "Voila" she boots up perfectly.

Thanks so much for your time and help. I needed a patient voice to talk me through the troubleshooting process. Otherwise, I may have thrown the thing down a flight of steps. :upset:

LOL, thanks again.

#6 ·

Thanks for the update!

Yes, you went onward with the troubleshooting, which basically ends up taking the whole laptop apart and servicing it checking each and every possible component including the screen.

I'm glad you have it fixed! Great Job!!!!

Please mark this THREAD as SOLVED by using the THREAD TOOLS!!!

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.