Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dropped connections with new powerline adapters

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  johnwill 
#1 ·
:wave:

This will be a long post, so here goes. I recently bought a twin pack of Belkin Gigabit Powerline Ethernet adapters to connect my computer via Ethernet across our house to the router, but since I started using these I've had quite a big problem with frequently dropped connections. This usually happens in the middle of a large continuous file download/transfer after a few minutes, whether it be downloading a file from the Internet or transferring a large file from my network hard drive. Here is my full network setup before I go any further (you may click each item below for further details/specifications if needed), just let me know if you need to know any further hardware specifications or you can click the 'My System' link on my profile:

Netgear ProSafe DGFV338 router
Netgear GS605 5-port Gigabit Ethernet switch
2x Belkin Gigabit Powerline Ethernet adapters
QNAP TS-110 Turbo NAS (the aforementioned network drive)
Asus P5Q-E motherboard

Let's call each Powerline adapter A and B for argument's sake. Here are some strange things I've noticed when trying to access the files on my network hard drive via its built-in FTP capabilities:

- When I connect A to my computer and B to my Ethernet switch the coloured light on the switch referring to my Powerline adapter is green to signify a Gigabit Ethernet duplex is in effect. In this situation I can access the contents of my network hard drive, which include 700MB+ files which I want to transfer over to my computer. After about a minute or two the connection drops and the Powerline adapter restarts itself (at least that's my assumption), and then I am back online in a minute or so.

- When I connect B to my computer and A to my Ethernet switch the coloured light on the switch referring to my Powerline adapter is orange to signify a Fast Ethernet duplex is in effect. In this instance I can 'see' the contents of my network hard drive but I cannot access them, the file transfer simply does not take place at all.

If it makes any difference at all I will try and re-position one of the adapters at some point so that it's a bit closer to the second one and see if the same thing happens, after which I'll post here with my findings. Does anyone else have any suggestions in the meantime? Have I got some dodgy units, is this how these particular models behave, or am I missing something here? I will add that we have quite a big house and my computer is on the other side of the house from the router itself, if this helps.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Jon.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for posting, but I've actually done some testing on my brother's laptop which also has a Gigabit Ethernet port. This downloads the same aforementioned files without any dropped connections at all when connected to the same Powerline adapter at the same location as my computer, so I'm thinking it must be something on my computer that's causing the problem. I'll keep probing, I'm sure there's hope yet...

Regards,

Jon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.