Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cant get Laptop to go online

6K views 31 replies 3 participants last post by  Bronzevessel 
#1 · (Edited)
I have 2 desktop computers that get online with no problems.

But, I'm having problems getting my laptop to get online too. Everytime i try i keep getting "The page cannot be displayed"
(I'm Not trying to go wireless with my laptop, since i had problems with the notebook adapter.)

Even when i try "directly through the Modem, it still wont work.

I've even tried unpluging the ethernet cable from one of the desktop computers and using it to see if i can get the laptop online.

I've tried:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:
Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log
Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog
Reboot the machine.

Ive tried:

Turning my modem and router off for a few minutes.

(I'm really scared to reset my router, cause it's old, cant get tech support, and i'm scared i wont be able to get my other puters back online)

I dont know what else to do. Heres my info.

Linksys Wireless B 2.4 GHz Broadband Router
Model:befw11s4 ver4

Modem: Arris TM402P/110

Comcast Service Provider

Laptop: Compaq Presario 2100

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] SP1
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Alps.ALPS-Y9X3J7G7PI>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : f-gjf42ffcyuuwh
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter router:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : national Semiconductor Corp DP83815
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-CD-88-23-27
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.121.207
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

See less See more
#2 ·
Ethernet adapter router:

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.121.207
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
well 169 is an APIPA address assigned with netbios so you NIC isnt seeing the router and defualt gateway, maybe take the info from your other computers ipconfig /all and manually assign the default gateway ip and see if you can connect ?

#4 ·
I manually put in the information And tried to go online directly from the Modem. It said Comcast homepage in the Address bar, but again i got a "The page cannot be displayed".

This is what it now says.

Ethernet adapter local area connection:

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers........................: 68.87.77.134

#13 ·
well protocols and how windows deals with them was my idea but i am not actually sure what's wrong with your laptop, I do however always update everything I use to do with Microsoft , in fact my old dell inspiron 2650 runs SP3 and I have no issues :smile:

I can only offer suggestions here and I am not certain where your problem lies so if your unsure don't install it and maybe wait for more comments :4-dontkno

#12 ·
tell us what your Device Manager shows for network adapters,,,,what is listed and do they have yellow exclamation marks by them... ?? what did the repair shop do the laptop that may have caused your wireless to stop working? did the direct connect to the network adapter work after the repair??

the device drivers for your network adapters, wired and wireless, are here if you need them:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=375243&dlc=en&os=228

#17 ·
Just went to microsoft.com and downloaded the malicious software removal tool. Its running on my laptop now. I guess i'm supposed to do this before i attempt to load the Sp3 program. Thankfully it was small enough to fit on my zip drive.

I'm doing a Full scan right now.

Do you guys think this malicious software removal tool will help any?

#18 ·
Nah probably will not help with your inability to connect to the internet via the modem.
to look at Device manager,,,click on start >Settings>>Control Panel> System> then click on the Hardware tab. Report back what you find first...before downloading drivers that you may or maynot need.

also under Start >Settings>Network connections if you see the Local Area Connection for the ethernet connection and Wireless Network Connection click on Local Area Connection and right click on it...select Properties....read and report what you see under Connect Using. also scroll down to TCP/IP and select Properties and make sure both auto select IP address and auto select DNS Server are checked...

#19 ·
Ok, went to the device manager and i didnt see any yellow or red marks.

The network adapter is called: National Semiconductor Corp DP83815/816 10/100 Macphyter PCI Adapter.

Also, under the L.A.C/Properties/Connect using: National Semiconductor Corp DP83815/816 10/100 Macphyter PCI Adapter.

I also, rechecked both Auto selects in the TCP/IP section. (I previously tried a couple other things peeps suggested, but it didnt work, so i put it back as you suggested)

#20 ·
so you did not see a wireless adapter listed. wonder why...? go back into Device manager and select this PCI adapter and right click and select remove....reboot the pc and let windows reinstall it....and then see if you have internet. also report back what the two led's on the ethernet pci adapter are showing with the ethernet cable from you modem or ethernet switch.

#22 ·
Ok, i uninstalled the network adapter and rebooted my puter. I rechecked and now it says: National Semiconductor DP83815-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter #2

I tried to go online directly from the Comcast Modem. Didnt Work.
Then, i tried unpluging the cable from one of other puters from the Router and it still didnt work.

Its still plugged in and now i'm getting a box that says:

Windows-System error..There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network.

Not sure about the Led question you asked, but i looked at the Ethernet cable plugging into my laptop and the colors is Green on one side and Yellow(blinking) on the other side.

#23 ·
is your connection still setup manually ?

if so go back and delete the connection or reset the radio buttons to make it automatically use the router as the DHCP server and this should assign you a unique ip and solve the conflict, if the problem is still there using a cmd prompt type ipconfig /release let it run for a few seconds then type ipconfig /renew ........

If the problem persists type ipconfig /all and post a screenshot here again please :smile:

#24 ·
Ok, i booted the laptop today, removed the router cable from one of my other puters and tried to go online with the laptop. Didnt work. So i did a cmd/ ipconfig /release. I let it run for a few seconds then i did a ipconfig /renew. I tried to go online and it still didnt work so then i did a ipconfig /all.

Sorry, im not computer savy, i dont know how to post a screenshot.

This is exactly what it says now.

c:\Documents and Settings\a>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter local area connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :hsd1.mi.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : national Semiconductor Corp DP83815-based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter #2
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : yes
Autoconfiguration. . . . . . . . : yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers........................: 68.87.77.134
Leased Obtained . . . . . . . . . . . :Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:27:20 pm
Lease Expires. . . . . . . . . . . . . .: Friday, december 18, 2009 12:27:20 pm

#26 · (Edited)
Yes, my clock and calendar are incorrect on my laptop. I will change them (although i thought it would adjust automatically)

So everything looks good huh....I still cant get online, i just dont get it. Is there anything else that could be preventing me from getting online.

I tried, connecting my laptop directly to the comcast modem. Wont work. my other computers connect right back on, soon as i unplug my laptop and re-plug the main modem cable back into the router.

I tried unpluging one of my other puters from the router and plugging up my laptop with the cable..still wont work, but my other puter connects right back on (Almost instantaneously) when i put the cable back in it.

I have no idea. I check the satus on the Local Area Connection icon (when the laptop is connected to the router or directly to the modem) and it says connected with a speed of 100.0Mbps. I'm sending and receiving packets. But still cant get on. It either takes too long trying to get online or i get the page cannot be displayed page.

Also, i dont know what you mean by "Try Internet Explorer" ?

#28 ·
Ok, i will give it a try. Oh wait, i'm not really sure where to find them and the only security programs that i had was Mcafee. I keep trying to call it up and it keeps erroring out(Mcafee MISP Shell encountered a problem).

and then i try to uninstall the program and it and wont let me do that either.

#29 ·
OMG!!!!!!!! I'm online with my Laptop! Ok, let me catch my breath :()

Ok, so i downloaded a Mcafee removal program. I Successfully removed Mcafee, rebooted and tried to go online...It worked! I'm not sure why Mcafee prevented me from going online and i hope my issues help someone else.

Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.