Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Deere LA 105 traction belt makes noise

14K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Tumbleweed36 
#1 ·
This is an issue with the traction belt not the deck belt. It makes a noise like it's slapping or hitting something. When I depress the brake it goes away but release the brake and it's back. I recently picked up the mower at an auction and trying to make a few repairs to sell it. When I had the deck off I got underneath to inspect things and couldn't find any obvious issues with the belt. It's not a new belt but looks good. It doesn't appear to be loose and the pulleys looked okay. Appreciate any advice.

#2 ·
Hi greese

The pulley may "look" OK but the only way to be sure is to remove the pulley, put it on a flat surface and visually inspect it for warpage using a feeler gage. Worn out bearings can also cause excessive vibration on the shaft where the pulley sits making the pulley wobble uncontrollably. Check the pulley shaft for any end play, also make sure the pulley bolt has not been cross threaded inside leaving a small hairline gap between the pulley and shaft. While you are inspecting the pulley, take the numbers off the belt and cross reference them using your owners manual to see if it is the proper size for the machine.

post back your findings.

#3 ·
I appreciate the help. I assume I'd need to check all of them. I think there are three that the belt wraps around or just check the main one and would that be the larger one towards the front of the mower. I believe that's the one that moves them.

#7 ·
It doesn't matter the size of the pulley or how many the belt wraps around, if any one of them is warped it will affect the entire belt's rotation pathway.

#5 ·
I think the drive belt would be its own belt. The belt could look good but it could be stretched out. Maybe replacing the drive belt would help.

BG

#8 ·
Okay the update is that I replaced the two middle idler pulleys but that didn't help the problem. I can't figure it out. Had my wife sit on the seat to keep it running as I was underneath to check things out. The belt flaps around like it's loose. What else to check.

#9 ·
Tighten the belts so there is zero deflection ( not being able to push it down with your finger) is there any lash on the main pulley ?

#11 ·
I asked the JD dealer about adjusting the tension on the belt but apparently there's no way to tighten them. You can adjust the mower deck belt but not the traction belt. So just tonight I ordered one off ebay. Takes a few days to get here but I'll report back if that was it. I do appreciate the feedback!

#12 ·
Well, I put the belt on today. Which by the way was a pain. That must have been the problem. Doesn't seem to be making the noise anymore. I've got to finish up an issue with the brake so I haven't put the deck back yet. I certainly do appreciate everyone's help!!

#16 ·
I would certainly put a new fuel filter in and before you put that baby to bed for the winter, put some "stabil" in that gasoline if it is going to set with gas in it.

My local Lawn and Garden Mechanic says never to use anything but the medium grade of gasoline (not regular) in those motors under 20HP, he says they will run better if you do, so that is what I always have used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.