Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Windows Won't Let Me Input a Password

24K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  quiksilver1987 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

i know you've probly seen me on here a few times now thats because this stupid computer won't let me do certain things

ok well someone helped me sort my clock out many thanks for that, right i now want to put a password on my computer my kids go on my computer and i password protect it so they cant get into my files as i have work files on here, backed up of course but not the point confidental information between myself and my company.

also friends come round and sit on my pc sometimes so i set up accounts for friends and family and for my kids and wife.

for some reason ive gone go to users via control panel and ive selected create a password. well it brings up the box to enter a password and password clue, it won't let me type anything into the box, i press any key and the characters will not come up in the box

i thought this may of been a keyboard issue so i tryed my wifes keyboard and still problem persists. ive also got the latest drivers for my keyboards

keyboards are connected by usb

Keyboards Makes and Model

Microsoft 3000 Keyboard - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-D...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239811034&sr=8-2

Logitech Illumniated keyboard - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-92...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239811062&sr=1-1

LINKS ARE THERE IF YOU REQUIRE MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE KEYBOARDS IF THIS IS A PROBLEM BUT I CANT SEE WHY IT SHOULD BE

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Windows Won't Let Me Input a Password

Hello again quiksilver1987!

As nice as it would be to smash something up, I seriously doubt the keyboard is to blame!..

Instead, try this:

START>RUN>CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2>press OK.

Here:

Now, make sure your ticked at the top of the window:question:

#3 ·

As above, you can actually add/remove and generally manage your users from the window.. It's the same as the CP version, but without the fluffy bits! :grin:

#16 ·

try right clicking my computer click manage then go to local users and groups click it then find your name right click it and then click set password.
ok i followed what zach said and this has now worked with a passworded username but it still won't let me password protect a username through control panel

#10 ·

Sounds like either infected pc or corrupt system files

Have you ran a full anti-malware scan lately?

Run the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow ( sfc if not reconized) (Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.
In all likelihood you will be prompted to insert the Windows XP CD.

#11 ·

ok well that worked up until one point took about 15 mins to get to the end of the progress bar asked me to enter my windows xp disc which i did, it was almost done then it asked me to enter disc 2 ?.

my windows xp disc is only 1 disc not two so i cannot complete the file checker.

any ideas ?

#12 ·

Are you sure it was asking for Disk 2 and not 'Windows XP Service Pack 2'?

-Crit.

#17 ·

Don't understand, I thought all XP disc's were 1 disc
Hmm.. I'm not sure how many CD's you 'get' or are 'supposed' to have with Media Center edition.. Anyone know this:question:

I say that as your repairing Win MCE with a Win XP-P cd - Which could be the reason...

#19 · (Edited)

This problem occurs because the System File Checker must verify the SP2 files against the originally installed files. However, the System File Checker does not recognize the Windows XP SP2 CD or the Windows XP CD or you do not have SP2 incorporated into the cd.

You can do 1 of 2 things:

1. Insert a Windows XP CD that has SP2 integrated
2.Modify the registry to point to the Windows XP SP2 Setup files

Read this for further instructions
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=900910

Info on how to How to Slipstream Service Pack 2 into Windows XP

EDIT
Looks like you have SP3 on your system read this
How to Slipstream Service Pack 3 into Windows XP

SORRY :rolleyes:

#21 ·

This problem occurs because the System File Checker must verify the SP2 files against the originally installed files. However, the System File Checker does not recognize the Windows XP SP2 CD or the Windows XP CD or you do not have SP2 incorporated into the cd.

You can do 1 of 2 things:

1. Insert a Windows XP CD that has SP2 integrated
2.Modify the registry to point to the Windows XP SP2 Setup files

Read this for further instructions
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=900910

Info on how to How to Slipstream Service Pack 2 into Windows XP

EDIT
Looks like you have SP3 on your system read this
How to Slipstream Service Pack 3 into Windows XP

SORRY :rolleyes:
what a great program, ive done that but im trying to burn it to a dvd disc using nero ISO

it says its larger than 2gb and cannot be burnt onto disc, use UDF for larger files this can be done by changing compatalbity

no idea how to do that :4-dontkno

#20 ·

Maybe you can try to change the password using command prompt.
1. Go to Start > Run > Type cmd.exe
2. Type c:\>net user <username> <password>
where <username> is the user you wish to change the password and <password> is the new password
After executing the above command a message "The command completed successfully" will indicate that the password has changed successfully.

Example:
C:\>net user guest 1234
The command completed successfully.

C:\>

#23 ·

Nice one Jerry :grin: - Quiksilver1987, this post is what I like to refer to as "Good Darts!"

#24 ·

i sorted it! i just did the simple solution lol a reformat, hopefully you won't hear from me for a while. :). sorry took so long to reply back my modem died on friday and ive had no internet until today when a virgin media engineer came out and provided me with a new modem

now im getting full speed with the old modem was only getting 4mb now we get the full 10mb with the new modem

thanks boys and girls for the great help and swift replys

much appreiated

thanks

#25 ·
just quick question before i leave, dunno if some of you know much about ISP's and there speeds.

earlier i did a speed test with the new modem and we got 9.8mb and 500 upload

ive just done a speed from 7pm and my speeds have dropped drastically. dunno if this is a pc issue as ive been doing alot of windows updates coz ive just got my pc back up.

my results

Date Download Speed Upload Speed
Today 21:43 2395 kbps (299kB/s) 115 kbps (14.4kB/s) Share
Today 19:51 2414 kbps (302kB/s) 119 kbps (14.9kB/s) Share
Today 18:05 9843 kbps (1.23MB/s) 492 kbps (61.5kB/s) Share

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.