Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious case - New computer running very slow even after system restore.

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  joeten 
#1 ·
As a preface to my problem I'd like to tell you I've been working with HP for two weeks now (my computer is a HP m9200 desktop) and I've yet to resolve the problem. I don't consider myself computer savvy but I know a little and the symptoms of my computer really don't make any sense to me. I've run every diagnostic available by hitting the "F" keys on startup those include processor, ram, hard drive, and networking. My computer passed every test even the extended tests but was still running very slow (slow meaning it took 30 minutes to start up or shut down and was extremely slow to process any action, even clicking the start menu).

So as HP and I were troubleshooting they decided a system restore would fix everything so we did. My computer was back to it's original factory condition but was still not running right. Then randomly one day I tried to start it in safe mode and as it was starting up it randomly restarted itself in normal mode and ran perfectly for about 2 days before suffering from the same problems it had. I system restored it again to no avail and off and on it would work perfectly and then suddenly slow down to a grind. There was no association as far as I could tell with any one program making it do this, there were always different programs running it really seemed like a random thing. In all honesty I didn't know where to post this problem because I don't know how it could be malware if I've done a complete system restore but I also don't know how it could be a hardware problem if it's passed multiple extended tests.

It can't hurt to include a few messages my computer has sent me over the weeks, the ones I've talked with HP about.
"A disk read error has occured press ctrl + alt + del to restart" [black screen with white letters].
Windows boot manager told me that "Windows failed to start due to a recent hardware change" and that I should get a windows disc and repair, it also added
"File: \boot\BCD
Info: Error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

I read the what-to-do before posting thread but I can't run the first program because my OS is not viable and I tried to upload the GMER report but it said there were no suitable nodes for it and it was a .zip file. There were only 2 things showing on the scan anyway and also said the handle was invalid in an error message before I ran the scan. The two showings were
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BTHPORT\Parameters\Keys\001e37b3ff0f
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\BTHPORT\Parameters\Keys\001e37b3ff0f

After reading my post I'd like to clarify that this problem is essentially stopping me from using my computer altogether and it seems pretty severe. Just wanted to add that because my post didn't allude to the seriousness enough :p
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other things you may want to know about what I do with the computer. I play world of warcraft, use an online chat program ventrilo, run AVG for anti-virus and use mozilla firefox to browse.
My computer is about 8 months old:
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
4.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
750GB Hard drive

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.