Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannot connect to wireless network after reformatting

10K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  johnwill 
#1 ·
Hello, I recently had to reformat my whole pc and lost many pictures and such because of a huge critical error melt down. After the reformat, my wireless network, I am using now on my Macbook, is no where to be found nor does it seem like I can even get on any wireless network. Any help/advice or point me in any direction what to do to connect my pc to my wireless network will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
reinstall the drivers for the wireless NIC...right click mycomputer icon/properties/hardware/device manager/should be wireless drivers with a ? mark showing that physically it's there...but needs drivers to work...choose update driver/don't connect to the internet/install from specific location/don't search/i will choose/then choose the wireless NIC you have and install...should be all O.K....

#3 ·
Well, since you reformatted, I'd guess that you have driver issues, the exact make/model of the machine would be useful here. Have you tried a wired connection to see if that works?

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
  2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
  3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

Let's see this as well.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

#4 · (Edited)
My network adapters have 1394 Net Adapter and Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC no ? in this driver. The only driver that has a ? is the Other Devices with Ethernet Controller and Video Controller (VGA Compatible) both listed.

EDIT:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Joshua>IPCONFIG /ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : fgdgfd
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-F2-56-54-A4

Tranfered this from a burned cd onto my Macbook, hope it helps

#12 ·
i also believe the other unknown device would be your wireless NIC...if you don't have the make and model of the driver...go to your mfg's. website and search for drivers by their criteria...Dell uses the service tag number for drivers...HP uses part number to search for drivers...should be able to find what you need with this route...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.