Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need help with slim PS2...disc reading error :(

8K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  ShosMeister 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I was using my slim PS2 today and it was working normally. I then turned it off and later turned it on and it didn't read the disc. I thought that was awkward, so I opened the tray (?) and closed it, and the disc was read fine and the game functioned normally. Then, about ten hours later I tried turning on the ps2 to play the same game, and it didn't read it. I tried opening the tray once more and closed it, but it still didn't read. I cleaned the lens with rubbing alcohol but that didn't work either. When I open and close the tray, it makes a noise like it is going to read the disc, but then the noises stop...could this be a problem with the motor. Sorry for my terminology (tray and motor)....I'm kinda computer illiterate. If anybody could PLEASE help me, I would really really appreciate it. Thank you.

#2 ·
Does any one know how to fix this problem? It happened again about a 8 months after I supposedly fixed it. I am no gamer engineer with no knowledge on what chips or parts do. I fixed this problem the first time it happened by opening up the whole thing and "fidgeting" the lens. I think there is something on google that shows a slideshow on how to open the ps2 safely. Other than that, I have no knowledge on how to fix it. Please help!

#3 ·
are the vents clean? cuz if it isn't then it could be getting pretty warm... dunno if that is the problem, I have a slim PS2, for the past two years and only happened to me once, but i think it was because the disc wasn't seated correctly

that's my two cents, and sticking to it

#4 ·
When this happened to me I turned it on without a disc in, went to system configuration, pressed triangle and turned diagnostic mode on and it worked fine after that. I'm not sure if they're the exact instructions or not, I haven't played my PS2 in a while, but it's something along those lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.