Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

error code 10 when installing Realtek AC'97 and Conexant AC-Link on Gateway 6520GZ

14K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  smek007 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have been trying to help my friend reinstall Windows XP on his Gateway 6520GZ and after a full reformat and reinstall the sound is not working. I first tried downloading all of the support drivers from the Gateway website, but no luck there. I have been searching on all sorts of forums and found several different solutions that other people found that did not work.

I have tried multiple Realtek AC'97 codecs (WDM_A404 and WDM_R186) which were both suggested on one forum or another. I believe that the computer has a realtek chip from what I could find, but I'm not positive. One of these actually installed, but the problem is that when I try to install the Conexant AC-Link Audio driver (Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565) I get a message saying that the device cannot start [code 10]. Currently in the device manager I can see the "Realtek AC'97 Audio" driver, but there is an exclamation point next to it. I am at a complete loss at this point and open to any help I can get. Anything would really be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Mike

#4 ·
Welcome to TSF....

If you do not have any service packs installed as of yet I would suggest downloading and installing the service pack 2 full edition for networking first

Download Windows XP Service Pack 2 full installation

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

After this is installed I would then do the windows update thru internet explorer and do a custom scan and when that is finished scanning take a look on the menu on the left side under hardware and also software and install everything there especially if it has anything to do with multimedia or sound.....

Worked for me a while ago....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.