Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unable to Erase Videos from DVD+RW disk

15K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  OldGrayGary 
#1 ·
I'm not able to erase video files for a DVD+RW disk. I can read and burn files to it, but can't erase. When I try to erase, the DVD drive runs continuously until I manually stop it by opening the drive to remove the disk. After that, nothing will read the DVD or erase it including other computers. Apparently the format got screwed up so I have to throw out the disk.

I'm not sure if the problem is software or hardware. The software (Nero 6) will do everything else, including erasing CDs. I've contacted the computer manufacturer and their tech support people ran a diagnostic program on my computer via the Internet. They concluded that the CD/DVD drive was ok. I also contacted Nero, but they were less than helpful.

Any suggestions on what I should do will be welcome.

If I have to replace my internal CD/DVD, I assume that all I need to do is remove the screws holding it in place and disconnect the wires at the back. Then reverse the process with the new drive. Is this a simplistic view or is it reasonably accurate?

Thank you!

#3 ·
Quick Note -

Try this as a test: Make sure that while you are writing to the CD-RW or DVD-RW disks, you are using a packet-writing tool (like "Direct CD", or "In CD"). Roxio and Nero both have such tools. Try using those & see if the disks write & erase fine then.

Best of luck
. . . Gary

#4 ·
There are quite a couple of reasons for that. Some of them are here :

1) Improperly formatted media.
2) Unbranded media
3) Scratched media
4) Drive lens may have become weak (over long periods of time or it may also occur if you try to sccess scratched media at all times)
5) Or you may also have to update drive's firmware from manufacturer's site or from http://www.cdrinfo.com/

Note : Make sure there are no power fluctuations or power failure during firmware updation process as it may render the drive useless.

#6 ·
I'm in the process of trying various options that are suggested above. I've noticed that when I erase a DVD using the DVD recorder attached to my TV, a folder containing two files remains. The files are:

VIDEO_RM.IFO (32.0 KB)
VIDEO_RM.DAT (1.00 MB)

I had never noticed them when I recorded on the disk again although they were probably there.

Could these files be causing some of my problems?

Thank you!!

#7 ·
Again, no expert but here's a linkie:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=136814

Appears to me that you are starting with this "Sonata" format and your standalone DVD player is failing to erase all the files.

The introduction of the DVD player to the equation creates some questions. I had assumed all your "manipulation" of the DVD disk(s) was being done on the computer and only with Nero.

Can I ask why you are erasing the DVDs on the Player, when Nero will do that ? It seems to be an "oddball" factor that might be the cause of the problem.

Also, did you check to make sure that you are not finalizing these disks during burn ?

Are you only burning with Nero, or are you recording from the Player as well ?

In my limited experience with DVD burning, I have never seen any other files besides the Video and Audio ._TS files (and it's my understanding that the Audio folder is always empty and isn't even needed to play the video).

Perhaps this RW disk had the Sonata format, was incompletely "erased" and another format was burned to it, thereby causing some sort of conflict because there are two video formats on one disk ?

But then you didn't say you had trouble playing, it was re-recording that was the problem.

Is all of this centered on one particular disk, or do you experience it on more than just one disk ?

If more, does it happen over different brands of disks ? The DVD gurus constantly talk about poor quality media and how important it is to avoid it. I would assume this is particularly true for RW media.

What brand(s) are you using ?

#8 ·
Here's some answers to your questions.

The introduction of the DVD player to the equation creates some questions. I had assumed all your "manipulation" of the DVD disk(s) was being done on the computer and only with Nero.

The manipulation of the DVD disk was done on the computer, but Nero won't do everything I want it to do. I use DVD Shrink 3.2 to load the video onto the hard drive, and I use DVDReMake to edit the video. Then I erase the DVD I just used and burn the edited video onto it with Nero 6.

Can I ask why you are erasing the DVDs on the Player, when Nero will do that ? It seems to be an "oddball" factor that might be the cause of the problem.

After I have edited the video, I take the DVD and play it in my DVD recorder and watch it on TV. When it's finished I erase it with the DVD recorder and save the disk for future use.

Also, did you check to make sure that you are not finalizing these disks during burn ?
-​

The option to finalize a video burned on a DVD doesn't seem to be available on Nero 6, I don't see it anyway.

Are you only burning with Nero, or are you recording from the Player as well ?
I initially burn the files off the DVD recorder's hard drive onto disk with that recorder. Later, after editing, I burn the edited files back onto that same disk with Nero6.

Is all of this centered on one particular disk, or do you experience it on more than just one disk ?​

I've used two different brand of disks - Maxell and Sony.

Final comments: I've been using this procedure to edit videos for about two years using the same types of disks and the same software. The problem began two or three months ago. Also, I have an older, much slower computer with the same software but different hardware, of course. It has an external, USB connected DVD burner. It works fine but takes forever to complete the editing.

Hope that helps you understand what I'm doing.

Thank you.

#9 ·
Very clear answers, thanks. Next time I am up on XP (Vista won't run Nero 6,which I prefer) I'll try to post a screenie of the finalize option. I'm (almost) positive it's there for DVDs and I KNOW it's there for CDs.

Did anything "happen" 2-3 months ago ? New software, anything ?

Have you checked Device Manager for conflicts ? Also check Event log for clues. Recent errors and chronic errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.