Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My C drive is now my D drive :( How to switch system/active drive

21K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  nickster_uk 
#1 ·
My HP m7490n media center comes with two hard drives, but I could only access one of them. So I was on the phone with their tech support and they eventually figured out how to get me to get both hard drives. When I turned on the computer however, all my work in the past two months was gone!

I found that all the programs downloaded, tv recorded, documents worked on etc, were on the "D" drive which used to be the C drive. I can access the documents in there but of course I can't use the programs I downloaded, or get media center to recognize the tv shows I recorded etc.

How do I switch my C drive with the D dive? In other words how do I switch my "system" drive with my "active" drive, and what do these labels mean?

Btw. I asked HP tech support for this, and they said they would transfer me to a special team for the problem, for a charge. In other words they want to charge me for a problem that THEY created.

Win one for the small guy.

#8 ·
Nevermind. I figured that out easily by going to the BIOS menu. I switched the boot order and indeed my old desktop booted up...but in a heavily distorted version that only showed part of the screen. Also, I couldn't use any applications. Even the shutdown button and ctrl-alt-delete menu didn't work, nor could I enter the properties menu.

Any ideas on how I can get my old computer back?

#10 ·
Well that gets the "old" computer back. But I really mean getting everything to the way it was just before the 2nd hard drive was installed and became the primary hard drive.

I already tried switching the boot order, and that did something. I could try unplugging the 2nd hard drive, but I'm hesistant to experiment.

#14 ·
guyanonym said:
Nevermind. I figured that out easily by going to the BIOS menu. I switched the boot order and indeed my old desktop booted up...but in a heavily distorted version that only showed part of the screen. Also, I couldn't use any applications. Even the shutdown button and ctrl-alt-delete menu didn't work, nor could I enter the properties menu.

Any ideas on how I can get my old computer back?
You could try changing the boot order to CD then this drive and do a repair of the OS.
Not sure if this will work so wait till someone confirms if it will,if no replies in a reasonable time I will try a few PM's to get help

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.