Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What makes Cryptowall 3.0 the most successful ransomware?

721 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Wizmo 
#1 ·
Cryptowall 3.0 is the most successful ransomware of all time, a new report by security firm Imperva says. Ransomware is a type of malware which, once active on a device, encrypts all the data and demands payment from the victim, typically through Bitcoin.

In its report on the dangers of ransomware, and the impotent attitude of the FBI, which usually advises victims to pay the ransom, Imperva says Cryptowall 3.0 has caused $325 million (£225.7m) in damages so far.

Commenting on the news, Jonathan Sander, VP of product strategy at security firm Lieberman Software says it’s not that the police isn’t doing anything -- it’s that they can’t do much in the first place:

"It’s not that local law enforcement doesn’t want to help with Cryptowall, they can’t. A friend works with cybercrime efforts of local police here in the States, and recently told me that since Cryptowall most often crosses international boundaries there’s not much the police can do. They know this already. So when they are told about it they mostly give condolences and move on to investigations where they can have an impact".
What makes Cryptowall 3.0 the most successful ransomware?

#2 ·
I see that there are several active threads on this beast at present. I have had 2 clients fall victim to this nasty threat, and both were able to recover the majority of documents & photos from a recent backup that was kept OFFLINE until required. :thumb:

This is a prime example of why you should NOT keep your backup drives connected to the system when not being used! Also, keep at least TWO redundant backups, just in case. External HDD's are getting quite cheap and are the best defense against data disasters of all kinds. :wink:

YMMV!
:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.