Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows Servers

Unable to install Server 2012 R2

This is a discussion on Unable to install Server 2012 R2 within the Windows Servers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm hitting a brick wall with installing Server 2012 R2 on a ThinkServer TS140. It gets as far as detecting

Old 04-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

I'm hitting a brick wall with installing Server 2012 R2 on a ThinkServer TS140. It gets as far as detecting the drives and fails. I have a USB drive with the drivers and it comes back saying no new devices were detected after I select the proper driver. This server was previously running 2012 R2 but we got it used and I want to start over fresh so we can use it ourselves.

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
ebackhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Have you tried attaching a DVD drive for the install?

Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

The OS is on d DVD and the thumb drive just has drivers.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #4
- Microsoft Support

If it were me I'd download the easy start disk from Lenovo which should get you going down the right path. That disk will allow you to format the drives, create partitions, and start the install process for the OS want to install. I'm assuming you've created a RAID Array and that shows online when you enter the configuration screen (CTRL-L or I, can't remember) during the startup of the server.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
djaburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:32 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I have 1x 250GB SSD that I plan to use for the OS. There are also 2x 1TB HDDs that I'll RAID for storage. I grabbed EasyStartup and it goes as far as installation of the OS. When I provide the disc (original, not a copy or anything) it ejects and asks for the Server 2012 R2 installer. Repeat ad nauseum.

Tags
2012 r2, server, thinkserver, ts140
Gear in this thread