Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Task Scheduler stops working until reboot

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Corday 
#1 ·
Hi all, I am running a Windows Server 2008 64 bit Standard box and the scheduled tasks are driving me crazy. This is what happens..

I have about 5 important tasks (opening macro'd excel spreadsheets) that run at various times from 7am until 3pm. Every now and then they just stop working. Nothing I can find on the net has resolved (and I don't have SOXE/Windows Live Essentials).

When they stop working..
a) I can't even get any of them to run manually (On demand)
b) They just say 'Running' but nothing happens.
c) even a very basic tasks such as display a message on the screen will not run (so its nothing to do with permissions
d) The 5 tasks are all different excel files are all in different locations

The only way I can get it back working is to reboot the server (which is obviously annoying) but I rebooted yesterday to solve this problem and its come back in record time today).

Would anyone have any ideas at all what is happening here please?

Thanks
John

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, I have a bit more information which will hopefully help with a resolution.

I gave up on Windows Task Scheduler and tried a program called System Scheduler. and the following happens:

1. If I try to schedule the opening of a PDF file > Works!
2. If I schedule a .doc or .xls file I get the error: 'Last Recorded Status:%1 is not a valid Win32 application'
3. It seems there is a problem with office files but they open fine manually.
4. I've done a 'repair' on Microsoft office > still no change.

Hope that helps,
Thanks
John

#3 ·
Finally got the bottom of it!

Sometime in the past I have (lazily) connected to a remote app on the server using the Administrator credentials on a spare company laptop.

This laptop is now in regular use. I get a call this afternoon to say "something strange is going on, I keep getting a message on my screen saying 'Hi'"

This was exactly the message I was trying to produce on our server. Seems, for whatever reason, the tasks I was running were running somewhere on this other Administrator login.

I logged off my Administrator account and back on as a different user and found that (using Computer Management>Open Files) the 'Administrator' account still had a lot of files open. I closed this session down and then logged back in through VNC and scheduled tasks are now working perfectly again.

My own fault for using those credentials on a 'floating' laptop but at least I've got to the bottom of it!

Hope that helps out others.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.