Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows Servers

Server Folders/Files Organization Best Practices

This is a discussion on Server Folders/Files Organization Best Practices within the Windows Servers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I work for a company that for some reason has decided to try to "organize" our Windows Server

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,

I work for a company that for some reason has decided to try to "organize" our Windows Server 2003 network using a numbering system rather than the typical and more user friendly naming conventions people are used to. For example, to find a particular form, they have put it here:

G:\100\200\550\300

Now if you were a new (or even veteran) employee, would you know just by looking at that network location that it had anything to do with the Vacation Request Form's location on the server? I think this is going to create unnecessary confusion and extra internal work for no real added benefit. Granted they are creating a chart of accounts/network directory listing to find things, but again it seems like a waste of time to me. A "chart of accounts" for a server is not typical from what I've ever seen before, but please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Any thoughts on persuading management from continuing with this crazy new system?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

It certainly looks like the accountant got the say on this one.
It might be "some people" do not realise that folder names can be long and multi-worded.
If management cannot understand the benefit of plain english, there's not much hope.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
- Microsoft Support

I concur, and the biggest issue might be that what works for accounting might not work so good for marketing, HR, or any other non-accounting office.

Perhaps you could have an accounting folder and then under that they could have their "chart of files/accounts" methodology.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Old 07-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

How about a big congratulations card signed by all the employees:
Congratulations on the most idiotic idea of the Information Age!
Closed Thread