Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows Servers

Server 2008 R2 print server - allow non domain pc's to print

This is a discussion on Server 2008 R2 print server - allow non domain pc's to print within the Windows Servers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am wondering how I allow non domain computers to print off of printers on our domain print server. We

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am wondering how I allow non domain computers to print off of printers on our domain print server. We sometimes have guests who come into the office for meetings and such and would like to print documents to the printer. I would like for them to be able to just right click the printer on the server and click connect and the driver be downloaded. Right now, I have to go fetch the driver from the web, install it, and then add the printer. It seems like such a run around for guests. Right now we have a domain print server on windows server 2008 r2.

thanks

Old 11-19-2010, 01:36 AM   #2
Registered Member

OS: Vista,XP, Windows 7, Server 2003, Server 2008 R2 and Linux.

Install internet printing. Google it plenty of tutorials out there on how to do this.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
Management Team Networking

Usually for guests and contractors you setup a guest wireless network not connected to your lan that has a printer attached. I would not allow these folks on the corp network since you have no idea the state of their laptops.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

For a non-domain computer, open up a browser and type http://printerservername/printers, it should give you all the list of the Printers that are shared off and configured in your Print Server. Select the printer that you need to be connected/installed then choose Connect.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
Old 11-23-2010, 06:54 AM   #5
Registered Member

I am able to access that, but when I go to connect, it asks for a username and password so i type in the correct domain user name and password and it just gives me an error of the arguments are invalid. and then i click okay on that dialog box, and the screen then says the printer driver is unknown. Thanks
Old 11-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
2xg

Make sure that the computer that's trying to access the Print Server is using the Server's DNS (Internal DNS).

Old 11-24-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
Registered Member

Yes, the non domain computers are getting the DNS Servers. Is there something I'm doing wrong? What I did is setup all of the printers on the 64 bit print server to use the 64 bit drivers. I gave the non domain computer access to those server properties via the security on the print server. I then was able to open up \\printserver from the run command, and open up printers and faxes folder from there, and then right clicked and hit server properties and added the printer. The X86 XP drivers do in fact show up on the print server.

That is how many of the guides were telling me, but is there some missing step?

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
2xg

It's an option and if it works and able to install the printer driver, that's all it matters. I think that you got it all figured out.
Quote:
That is how many of the guides were telling me, but is there some missing step?

Closed Thread