Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows Servers

SBS2008-2011 migration issue.

This is a discussion on SBS2008-2011 migration issue. within the Windows Servers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm currently trying to migrate a SBS2008 to SBS2011. I get stuck at the same place every single try and

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

I'm currently trying to migrate a SBS2008 to SBS2011.

I get stuck at the same place every single try and have been trying to find an answer for several days now.

The 2011 installation cant join the domain, it can ping the proper IP but not accept it as a DNS. No DNS requests whatsoever goes through.

I'm running both as virtual machines in vmware5. They find eachothers IP just fine and can ping eachother so connectivity shouldnt be an issue. Its just that darn domain that wont play ball.

Any tips? If you want further information about anything just ask and I will provide. As it is right now I've tried editing just about everything and feel kinda dead inside so I cant think of any proper info to attach.

Any help appreciated.

/Nuc

Old 03-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

OS: Windows XP - Windows 7 - Windows Server 2003 / 2008 - Windows SBS 2003 / 2008 / 2011

Hello,

Are you following the Microsoft migration procedure?
Download: Migrate to Windows SBS 2011 Standard from Windows SBS 2008 - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

Dave

Old 03-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
- Microsoft Support

Hopefully you've already read this document for guidance.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Old 03-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #4
Registered Member

Found the problem. A disgrunted ex-employe was creating the issue by logging in remotely every evening and changing settings here and there. Once we changed everyones passwords and blocked his IP things cooled down and the problems we solved actually stayed that way.

Sometimes I really hate people...
Old 03-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
- Microsoft Support

It's a lesson that when an employee is let go his/her account needs to be either disabled (not deleted just in case) or the password changed immediately. Should be standard policy, as I'm sure it is now.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Old 03-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
Registered Member

Indeed. The People at administration promised this was a one time thing.