Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows Servers

Remote Desktop Unable to Connect

This is a discussion on Remote Desktop Unable to Connect within the Windows Servers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm asking the question in this forum because it's more likely to get a meaningful answer. Don't yell at me

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 05:19 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Wink

I'm asking the question in this forum because it's more likely to get a meaningful answer.

Don't yell at me because I'm cheap and lazy, but I have a number of users set up to RDP into their desktops by just opening up a few different-numbered ports in the firewall and NATing them directly to their WinXP PCs. This works well. However, a company Exec is currently in Asia and hasn't been able to connect. I tested it last night from home and it worked fine for me.

Any quick answers to this? This client isn't computer 'literate', but he's pretty smart and can find his way around in a pinch. I think I have a VPN client installed on his laptop, but he'll find that a bit cumbersome. Could this be related to a time-out issue due to the distance? Or could the port be blocked somewhere other than at my firewall?

Old 10-26-2010, 05:53 AM   #2
Registered Member

I have a user in India and cant use oulook, he travelled to pakistan a few months back and could email fine. I think India is blocking certain things going in and out

Old 10-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
- Microsoft Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy_Jollimore View Post
I'm asking the question in this forum because it's more likely to get a meaningful answer.

Don't yell at me because I'm cheap and lazy, but I have a number of users set up to RDP into their desktops by just opening up a few different-numbered ports in the firewall and NATing them directly to their WinXP PCs. This works well. However, a company Exec is currently in Asia and hasn't been able to connect. I tested it last night from home and it worked fine for me.

Any quick answers to this? This client isn't computer 'literate', but he's pretty smart and can find his way around in a pinch. I think I have a VPN client installed on his laptop, but he'll find that a bit cumbersome. Could this be related to a time-out issue due to the distance? Or could the port be blocked somewhere other than at my firewall?
I do know that certain ports are blocked in parts of asia, specifically china (which is the only asian location that I've had client work from). Realizing that the VPN option might be cumbersome, he may not have many options available to him depending on where he is. There's one service that's worked when others seemed to fail from that area of the world and that was SurfBouncer.

Do keep in mind also that people may fuss for being cheap and lazy, but often it's because proper tools are typically available to make the job easier and trying to force something to do what it's not supposed to do seems a bit crazy to those of us who may have already done this and are trying to share their experience. Kinda like the often asked question, "I want 100% reliable antivirus protection for my entire organization...but it needs to be free".

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Old 10-26-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

"*I* want 100% reliable antivirus protection for my entire organization...but my accounting department says it needs to be free." ;)
Old 10-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Management Team Networking

Tell them there is no legal way for them to use a free product for the organization. Only personal workstation qualify for free. Even business workstation don't qualify. You also need a server product to protect the server(s) of which none are free.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
Registered Member

Can your user ping the IP address of the XP machine he's trying to RDP to?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Wanderer, that was a rhetorical statement in reply to djaburg's humourous comment. ;) We currently use Symantec Corporate Edition.

beeble, you must have missed where I said I could RDP into it from home with no problem.

And he contacted me on Thursday to let me know he was able to get into it fine when he tried it from Vietnam. Thailand must have been blocking the port for some reason. We don't have people in that area too often, but I'll be looking into a TS Gateway or other SSH-type solution for the future. Thanks for all the head-scratching over this!