Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows Servers

Print Driver via GPO Issue

This is a discussion on Print Driver via GPO Issue within the Windows Servers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I'm in a bit of a quandry. I installed Papercut, a new printing admin system replacing PCounter, onsite

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a quandry. I installed Papercut, a new printing admin system replacing PCounter, onsite on friday along with 2 new MFP machines, Utax 1725s. They are for my students use. However intermittently when the students login the printers are not downloading correctly. Either 1 (never both so far) won't work at all (only 5 tabs in the properties and even giving an error when trying to print a testpage) or they won't default to A4 and B&W as they are supposed to, which is a problem as colour printing costs the students 5 times more than B&W.

The server is Windows 2003 Standard and all the clients are running Windows XP.

We installed the Utax machines on the server and they tested correctly. I deleted the old queues (of the machines we were replacing) and gave these new printers the old queue name and sharename. This meant that I didn't have to change the vbs script on the GPO at all (I realise this is where the problem might be coming from, but don't know how to fix it).

Sometimes the drivers are downloading fine. Other times, as I said above, they are not downloading correctly at all, or are not defaulting to B&W and A4 as they are set to on the server. Finally, I've seen cases where they seem to be defaulted to B&W and A4 in the Printers and Faxes section of windows, but are still defaulting to colour through MS Word.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Jody

Old 05-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Registered Member

For anyone interested, this was indeed caused by driver confusion! Installing new queues solved the issue.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
Registered Member

OS: Vista,XP, Windows 7, Server 2003, Server 2008 R2 and Linux.

Thanks for posting the resolution. I will be installing the Papercut software in a couple of weeks at our head office so its good to know about problems in advance.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hey Maz. Just to say. This issue wasn't directly related to Papercut. It was just the fact that I was installing two new machines while also installing the Papercut system.

I'm quite impressed with the system though, especially coming from an antiquated PCounter card system. There was a few teething problems, but they were easily resolved. I listened to the students as well, made some changes and I rarely get calls about printing problems now. Good luck with it. I you want to ask anything, feel free.