Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows Servers

Output File Structure, Permissions from AD for Disaster Recovery

This is a discussion on Output File Structure, Permissions from AD for Disaster Recovery within the Windows Servers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi All, I'm hoping someone can help me with this question: Is there a program or utility that i can

Old 06-15-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this question:

Is there a program or utility that i can run that would output the file structure, permissions, etc. in paper form of AD if I ever have to rebuild it in the event my systems are no longer accessible?

Thanks in advance!
imgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2017, 09:12 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

Check this script. I've used it. You'll likely have to create some basic "structure layout", but this will do shares and permissions.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
djaburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks djaburg!

I think there are some parameters that I have to set, but am not sure since I'm brand-new at PS. Here's what I am getting:

ADMIN$
------
Unable to obtain permissions for ADMIN$
==================================================
C$
--
Unable to obtain permissions for C$
IPC$
----
Unable to obtain permissions for IPC$

...trying to figure it out.

thanks!
Old 06-19-2017, 08:43 AM   #4
Registered Member

I'm not sure where to put the server name....I've tried the obvious: -ComputerName, $computer...but still not working. I know it's something I am not doing right.

Would you mind pointing me in the right direction, please?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #5
- Microsoft Support

The script MUST be run from the computer you're trying to determine the permissions. In other words, it must be run ON the server. You shouldn't have to change anything in the script if you're doing that. Obviously you'll need to have administrative privileges to do that.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
Old 06-20-2017, 08:06 AM   #6
Registered Member

Yup! Got it...all working beautifully now.

Thank you all for your input...I know it must be frustrating working with a newbie!
Old 06-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
- Microsoft Support

We were all newbies once, no problem.