Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows Servers

new project, WSUS server

This is a discussion on new project, WSUS server within the Windows Servers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I run a computer repair store and we downgraded our internet from Charter to DSL. Why, Charter seemed to think

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 01:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I run a computer repair store and we downgraded our internet from Charter to DSL. Why, Charter seemed to think $600 a month seemed like a good price and they wouldn't budge.

So problems that come with slower internet, updating reloaded computers takes forever now. I've been doing some research and it appears what I need is a WSUS server. I just need to know where to get started on setting one up.

Questions,

1. Is a WSUS server what I need or is there a better solution for updating multiple computers with fresh installs?

2. Do you have a good resource for setting up a WSUS server, like a youtube video or website with step by step instructions.

3. Hardware, will any tower work for this or should I get say an older dell 2950 to do this? The faster I get these updated, the faster I get paid.

4. Do I need separate servers for each OS (XP, Vista, 7) or can one server do it all?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Old 12-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello Dave,

Do you have a Windows Server 2003 or above versions?
Please have a read on the requirements here.

Q's and A's:
1. Is a WSUS server what I need or is there a better solution for updating multiple computers with fresh installs?
How many Client computers do you have? If you have 20 or more you may use WSUS.

2. Do you have a good resource for setting up a WSUS server, like a youtube video or website with step by step instructions.
For Windows 2003 Server: Step 2: Install WSUS on Your Server
For Windows 2008 Server: How to install WSUS on Windows Server 2008

3. Hardware, will any tower work for this or should I get say an older dell 2950 to do this? The faster I get these updated, the faster I get paid.
I'd say at Min of 1gb to 2gb or RAM. Plenty of HDD space bec. the logs do get pretty big.

4. Do I need separate servers for each OS (XP, Vista, 7) or can one server do it all?
One Server would do it all.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
Old 12-28-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
Registered Member

I can get server 2003, np.

How many client computers do I have? I own a computer repair store, the plan was/is to have a WSUS do all my updates when I do a fresh install of windows on a clients computer to free up my limited dsl bandwidth. Some weeks, I don't have any, the day after Christmas, I had five computers come in that needed reloading.

I have tons of older p4 computers laying around along with a poweredge 2950, I could easily throw one together, that's why I'm asking.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xg View Post
Hello Dave,

Do you have a Windows Server 2003 or above versions?
Please have a read on the requirements here.

Q's and A's:1. Is a WSUS server what I need or is there a better solution for updating multiple computers with fresh installs?
How many Client computers do you have? If you have 20 or more you may use WSUS.

For Windows 2003 Server: Step 2: Install WSUS on Your Server
For Windows 2003 Server: How to install WSUS on Windows Server 2008

I'd say at Min of 1gb to 2gb or RAM. Plenty of HDD space bec. the logs do get pretty big.

One Server would do it all.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Yes, if you can get a Windows 2003 Server, you may install WSUS, make sure to read all the links the I gave you. The pre-requisites are very important.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
Old 12-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
Visiting BSOD Expert
Microsoft Support Team

You can use 2003, 2008, or 2008R2 as the server.