Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyper-V VM not getting network connection through VMware

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Catley 
#1 ·
Dear all,

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem below:

Scenario:
ESXi Host with VMware 5.1 installed, Hyper-VServer is a VM managed by VMWare, The Hyper-VServer has two adapters (Both tested and works on the Hyper-VServer, two different VLANS). I've used one for the Server (10.97.*.*) and one dedicated for the VMs (10.101.*.*) which I've selected in Hyper V Switch and it's automatically set it up and I've attached it to the VM.

When I run a VM on the Hyper-VServer, it gets an IP from the correct IP range from the VLAN (10.101.*.*) that is for that adapter and I can see it on our DHCP console on the DHCP server, but it's not getting an internet connection nor connecting to any internal or external websites. I can't even ping our Domain or DHCP server.

Any suggestions?

I recognise that this is a Hypervisor, running within a Hypervisor, which I've allowed on the ESXi Host and VMware Virtual Machine (Hyper-VServer settings on VMware) but feel free to list those steps again, perhaps I've missed something in an adapter setting, but I can't see any additional steps, nor many forums on this topic because it's quite a specific problem.

Thank you,

Sam

See less See more
#3 ·
What are the IP addresses for all hosts/clients in this scenario? I'm confused where the vlans exist, in VMWare or Hyper-V? Can the windows server get to the internet?

#4 ·
The VLANS are linked through physical switches to all our other servers that are on 10.97.*.* and the VLANS are on VMware which is on the ESXi host which is also on 10.97.*.*

So the Hyper V Server is a Virtual Machine in the cluster of our other Servers all on VMWare, and on the Hyper V Server I've attached two adapters (one adapter let's it go on 10.97.*.* and the other is 10.101.*.*) I'm using the 10.97.*.* for the server and I've used the 10.101.*.* adapter for the Virtual Machines on HyperVServer, which I've set up just using that Ethernet connection (Virtual adapter on VMWare) in Hyper V Switching.
The HyperVServer CAN get to the internet and all our internal and external services.
When I run the Virtual Machine (on HyperVServer), the Virtual Machine CANNOT get to the Internet or Internal or External services, despite it having an IP Address.

VMWare is the main host for our network, HyperVServer is just a server that I'm using for our Golden Images to deploy onto our staff laptops so I can edit the images on the server then capture them to our WDS Server.

I've tried switching the adapters but it doesn't matter which adapter/ethernet I use for the VM, it will not get any type of connection but gets an IP Address each time.

#5 ·
Can the VM's connect to the Hyper-V server via network? If so, I'd like at routing on the hyper-v server. If it can't, check the virtual switch settings.

#6 ·
The VM cannot see anything, it says that it cannot find the default gateway for that VLAN, because it's not getting a connection at all (despite getting an IP). I've set up the switch as per usual and all my other VMs work that's on a physical desktop as opposed to managed via VMWare. I know there can be some problems running a Hypervisor within a Hypervisor. And wondered if there are any additional settings I need to do with the VSwitch or VMWare to allow this network connection to work.

All I've done with the VSwitch on the HyperVServer is I've created a new external 'connection' used the adapter that connects to 10.101.*.* and it's not working but at some stage it obviously did connect to something because it's got an IP from our DHCP Server.

#7 ·
Sorry for stating some obvious thoughts here, but I will do it anyway.

1. "it's not getting an internet connection nor connecting to any internal or external websites" makes me think that DNS is incorrect. Is the server getting correct DNS values from the DHCP server?

2. Have you tried assigning a static IP, if so, what happened?

3. Have you tried pinging IP addresses, not FQDN's, if so, what happened?

#8 ·
Sorry for not replying, I've only recently fixed this issue... I had to enable promiscuous mode on the switch for this server. But I have another problem now which I'm going to post another thread on because it's not to do with HyperV As such, it's to do with WDS.

Thanks,

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.