Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyper-V Help Needed with Snapshots & AVHD's

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  loda117 
#1 ·
Hello-

I am having an issue with one of my VM's and my setup is like this. I have a physical server running 2008-R2 that is hosting two Virtual Servers through Hyper-V. One of the VM's is a very important server as it handles a lot of our budgeting stuff. The Admin before me depended on primarily Snapshots as a form of backup. I have always known that to not be a smart move and to not run on a snapshot in a production environment for more than 2 days. So we had a lot of snapshots from different times throughout this year and some from last year and the issue we have been running into is the VM has ran out of space and halted. So the past few weeks I have been removing some obsolete snapshots from the VM as to recover space to keep the server going. However currently I am down to the current running instance and two previous snapshots and as of yesterday I still had 35GB left. Today however when I logged on i noticed that i was down to 29GB left? This was confusing as I hadnt created any more snapshots and nothing had been added to the system to take up 6GB within a 24 hour period. So after doing some looking I noticed that the AVHD files (Snapshot Files) are growing in size? If they are snapshots why are they increasing in size? I would understand the .VHD (Current Running Disk) to be growing as we use it but not sure why snapshots are growing as well.

So what I would like to do and get confirmation on is fix this, and the solution I have come up with would be to create a brand new VM, export and copy the VHD and AVHD'S to this new "non-snapshotted" system in hopes that the avhd's would merge into one VHD. Which would give me all my space back and let me work off the VHD without any loss of data or days of work. and then moving forward using snapshot only when needed and not as a form of backup. I just need someone to help make sure this is a good option to fix this server that is running out of space due to these AVHD's growing drastically day by day.

Please someone

I Thank You

See less See more
#3 ·
On mobile device
snapshots are not meant to be used as backups or in production
I would look into backup solutions
Veeam for hyper v is the best I have come across
Issue with snapshots is that they have expiration date also they are very easy to be applied which can leave your production server cooked.
I would suggest that

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.