Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows Servers

HOW TO BIND MAC ADDRESS WITH IP ADDRESS

This is a discussion on HOW TO BIND MAC ADDRESS WITH IP ADDRESS within the Windows Servers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. PLZ TELL ME STEP HOW TO BIND MAC ADDRESS WITH IP ADDRESS BY SWITCHES DONT USE DHCP SERVER

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

PLZ TELL ME STEP HOW TO BIND MAC ADDRESS WITH IP ADDRESS BY SWITCHES DONT USE DHCP SERVER

Old 07-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

It would be easier to set static IP addresses since switches don't hand IP addresses to clients.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Old 08-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Registered Member

tell me how
Old 08-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Registered Member

This might be of some help.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Networking Team |Tech

Some routers support this feature if they do, its pretty easy to find.

MCP | MCDST | MCSA
Old 08-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Static IP addresses won't bind to MAC addresses. What you are asking for CAN'T be done without using a DHCP server, which is what 'regular' routers use to do it. More advanced routers can bind addresses on their own, but I'm pretty sure it only applies to other routers/switches, and not PCs.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
Networking Team |Tech

You can bind a pc mac address to an ip via some routers, which is pretty much giving a computer a static ip via the router as apposed to doing it via the pc.

Switches have no backend/built in features to provide a bind.

Get a router that supports the feature and you are good, otherwise create reservations via dhcp or manually go round each machine and do it.

MCP | MCDST | MCSA
Old 08-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
- Microsoft Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT-Barry View Post
You can bind a pc mac address to an ip via some routers, which is pretty much giving a computer a static ip via the router as apposed to doing it via the pc.
But that's using DHCP, which he said he didn't want to do. Which of course makes things much more difficult unless he's going to use static addresses.

Seeing other posts by the OP, I'm not sure what he's hoping to achieve...

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Old 08-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #9
Networking Team |Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by djaburg View Post
But that's using DHCP, which he said he didn't want to do. Which of course makes things much more difficult unless he's going to use static addresses.

Seeing other posts by the OP, I'm not sure what he's hoping to achieve...
I gave him/her the options in my post, if the OP wishes to do things the long way I did suggest them later in my post.

I'm thinking the OP either doesnt have access to the server, or has little to no knowledge of configuring a server.

MCP | MCDST | MCSA
Old 08-15-2011, 01:05 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

DHCP IP Address Reservation:

A DHCP reservation is a permanent IP address assignment. Every time a computer connects to a network, usually in it there is a DHCP server, typically your router (which is the case as long as it isn't JUST a modem). When the computer connects back up, the network card has a MAC address when connecting. The router notices this, has an IP address kept for the computer, and gives the same one back to the computer each and every time it connects.

A reservation is consists of the following information:

IP Address - IP address from the scope for the client
MAC Address - Client's Media Access Control (MAC) address
Supported - DHCP reservation, Boot Protocol (BOOTP), or both (optional)

To find the MAC address however, you can either open up Command Prompt on your computer, and run ipconfig /all to see the MAC addresses for all the interfaces. Or you can look it up on your router, since it keeps record of all the computers connected to it and what IP address it assigned the computer at the moment (I do it this way, since it is easier).