Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows Servers

GPO for networked printers

This is a discussion on GPO for networked printers within the Windows Servers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Server is 2008 R2, clients are XP/7 mix. I'm trying to map a few "community" printers by MACHINE rather than

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

Server is 2008 R2, clients are XP/7 mix.

I'm trying to map a few "community" printers by MACHINE rather than user. Users here migrate around and I want the nearest network printer to be used when anyone signs in whichever PC.

I've setup for a GPO to assign a printer, used Item Level targeting to assign to computers with names of **6047 etc, and added that machine to the scope. It doesn't map the printer!

Any ideas?

Old 10-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello,

See if this guide is something that you are looking for to accomplish deploying network printers using GPO.
Another one here.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
Old 10-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
Visiting BSOD Expert
Microsoft Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparis99 View Post
I've setup for a GPO to assign a printer, used Item Level targeting to assign to computers with names of **6047 etc, and added that machine to the scope. It doesn't map the printer!

Any ideas?
Well, item-level targeting on a user policy means that it's going to work on USER objects, not machine. The targeting fails (completely), thus it doesn't work. 2xg's second link (targeting by computer) is what you need to do, but you aren't going to be able to do what you want to do by user without a custom script.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Tech Hardware Team
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

OS: Windows 8 Ent, Server 2012, 2012R2, Server 2008 R2 Stnd,

My System

Here is the vb script call it through your logon.bat

Quote:
Set printers ' ****************************** On Error Resume Next Dim objNetwork Set objNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network") 'objNetwork.RemoveWindowsPrinterConnection "\\server\printer_to_remove" 'objNetwork.RemoveWindowsPrinterConnection "\\server\2nd_printer_to_remove" objNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\server\printer1" objNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\server\printer2" objNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\server\printer3" objNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\server\printer4" objNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\server\printer5" objNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter \\server\printer1
Memory Test
Closed Thread