Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows Servers

Emergency Plan When your Servers go down

This is a discussion on Emergency Plan When your Servers go down within the Windows Servers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was just wondering what sort of action a network Admin would take if there servers fail and data is

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

I was just wondering what sort of action a network Admin would take if there servers fail and data is lost?

What sort of plan do you have as a backup if theres a fire flood act of god or theft?

I'm trying to find the best way to set one up.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via MSN to carsey

You should have a good UPS incase of power failure and also surge protection on all power cabling.

When Backing up, its best to arrange a backup suited to your system, where I work, we do daily Backups of all student data and admin and also any other important data. These backups are done through from monday to thursday and on Friday we do a full system backup. This is repeated every week until the end of the month/term we do a monthly/termly backup.

It is very important that you store your backups in a fireproof case away from your servers, imagine if your server room caught fire and all backups were stored there....Not a good situation. Some people even back their data up off site to a company not in the same industry.

As for media, usually a remote NAS box is great if your funds support it. I wouldnt suggest the use of tape backup, as they are generally unreliable and can often crash. Your best bet is probably to use a harddrive which plugs into the server and stores the backups onto that. (we use a RD1000 device including a 120GB drive).

Old 11-01-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
Registered Member

At the moment i have a Ups to all the servers, data backup, which backs up all the student and staff data to a removeable hard drive rotaing over 3 weeks. So 1 backup is running 1 is in the safe and the other goes off site.

What about setting up all the shares that were there on a system. Do you have that covered and how quickly could you get it all up and running again after a disaster.

Why do you keep a full backup at the end of term?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What exactly do you mean by shares?? Do you mean like shared applications and folders available over the network.

If yes, I currently dont think we have a backup running for them, Unless they are stored in the full system backup.

The frequency you run your backups depends entirely upon the infrastructure. if its a good network and new you should get away with weekly backups, but its probably best to do them daily just to be on the safe side. For the sake of 30mins configuration time for schedules, its probably better than you loosing numerous days data.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
Registered Member

When you say system back up do you mean sysState backup or do you backup the whole system.

I actually backup daily but the external hardrive last a week, with the $ per gig ratio falling external drives are great value when you can't affor NAS.

I think my greatest fear is downtime and putting it all together again and having teachers run to my server room with pitchforks.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:54 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Yep, i think it is a full system backup, full configuration, the lot.

Yes backups will save you from when you have lost data, but system downtime is related to hardware, if your servers are getting a bit old, then a large amount of downtime will come from them.

Closed Thread