Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows Servers

Change date to past date on 2008 Server

This is a discussion on Change date to past date on 2008 Server within the Windows Servers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I have a windows 2008 server which is running a specific application we are testing with. Part of our

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,
I have a windows 2008 server which is running a specific application we are testing with. Part of our testing requires the date to be set back to a past date.

The problem is the server is part of a domain and we need to set the server to a past date. Is this achieveable with a domain member server ????

I believe I will have major problems if I reset the date and in any event the server being part of the domain will reset it's time via the Domain Heirachy.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers
Jeff

Old 06-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 7 Pro, ME, Vista. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000 & 98SE

Possibly under "Local Policy" you could give a user the right to change the system time. I guess all the server users might need this for your project, but it shouldn't affect the domain.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
Visiting BSOD Expert
Microsoft Support Team

Note that setting the date back is not a problem, but it *will* break kerberos usage on that server (if it's more than 5 minutes different from the KDC on the DC you auth to, you won't get any tickets from the TGT service after changing the time, until you set it back). This won't cause problems on the server itself (well, not many, anyway), but it can and will cause issues accessing resources on the domain.