Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Cases and Cooling

How quiet is quiet?

This is a discussion on How quiet is quiet? within the Cases and Cooling forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, everyone, Im buying a new system Here are the components im looking at Antec p183 Corsair HX 850 W

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 05:39 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, everyone,

Im buying a new system
Here are the components im looking at

Antec p183
Corsair HX 850 W 80+
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UDR3
i7 950 3,06 ghz
2x gtx 460 1 gb sli
Corsair 8gb (4x2048) 1600MHz xms3

If i decide to run this system on aircooling, ill probably buy a Noctua NH-D14 cooler for the cpu, go with the cyclone versions of the 460s, as well as replacing the cases stockfans with four noctua nf-s12b and either run speedfan or put money on a fan controller.

I am looking for a powerful, yet silent build (or close to). I think I can control most of the components with fans, but the gpus apparently sound like a beast similar to a gtx 480 during load.

Is this right? Can anything be done?

Old 10-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

If you want a silent build you will need to taylor everything to quiet.

Your case needs to be free flowing of air to keep case temperatures down.

Any fans need to be low-rpm/high airflow.

There are a few "passive" heatsinks that do a fair job cooling, but the internal case temps must be kept down, and any fan induced airflow must work with them...

Your GPU could also benefit from an aftermarket cooling solution to drop the volume and increase the cooling. The problem with this is you will lose expansion slots.

I can throw together a bunch of suggestions, but... The product lines have been updated since I last researched them... I will start looking into it.

Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

1 GPU would certainly be quieter than two and you save money, power, generate less heat (other fans don't work as hard making them quieter) and you give up a very small percentage of performance.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Tyree is absolutely correct. I missed that little tidbit of information when I first read the thread.
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Closed Thread