Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Case vibration sound

15K views 194 replies 21 participants last post by  Solidify 
#1 · (Edited)
I have this case: Newegg.ca - Cooler Master HAF 912 - High Air Flow Mid Tower Computer Case

Since I first built it, there has been a ringing vibration sound. I always thought it was something inside the case but then I removed the side door and it stopped. I now realize that the sound is caused by the vibration that the door makes when it has contact with the rest of the metal lining on the case. I've tried putting black rubber washers on the thumbscrews and even tucking in all the wires so nothing touches the side door when it's closed but there is still this incredibly loud vibrating sound.

A lot of threads say to check the hard drives or fans but I doubt that is the case since the noise stops when I take the side door off.

#3 ·
Yes, it is screwed as tight as it can (without exaggerating).

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
It isn't always making the noise, only sometimes. And when it does, it's in a sync. For instance, every 5 seconds, it vibrates very loudly for 5 seconds.

I tried placing the rubber between the screw and the case like a washer to reduce vibration but that did not help. Even if I put the side door back on without the screws, it vibrates loudly.

#6 ·
I have the same case and it started doing this about a month ago. I thought it was a fan going bad, but after checking them they seemed fine. I finally found that it was the metal cover to the extra card slot in the back of the case. The cover has a screw on one end, but the other end is left flopping, so if the case reached a certain vibration frequency it would start rattling. I fixed it by tightening the screw and adjusting the cover a bit.

It would stop if I tapped the case or slightly bumped it, so that may be what's happening when you take the side panel off; it changes the case's frequency enough to stop the rattle, but it's not the actual panel causing it. Here's a picture of the trouble piece:

Attachments

#7 ·
I tried tightening that card slot metal cover but there wasn't even wiggle room to begin with. Something tells me that didn't do much.

#9 ·
Nothing. It's hard to tell since it hasn't vibrated since I posted this thread.

Can you suggest me some steps to attempt when the vibration reoccurs?

#11 ·
I'll see if the next time it happens I could find where the sound comes from.

#12 ·
This might sound counter-intuitive, but you might try leaving the thumbscrews a bit loose. Not floppy loose, but just tighten them with your finger tips until they stop.

#13 ·
Another suggestion to try is strategically placed lengths of sticky-backed rubber, as used around doors to stop draughts - Try one or 2 lengths on the inside of the side panel first, from either side-to-side or top-to bottom, it should dampen/reduce the resonant frequency.

Don't let it cover any of the vent-holes though :wink:)

#14 ·
gc, I never use a screw driver to tighten the thumbscrews either way.

werebo, I'll try that if it occurs again.

#15 ·
What I do is use a flathead screwdriver, and slightly tape the end of it with duct tape (tightly). When the case starts making noise again very gently but precisely start touch-tapping (for about 5-10 seconds) every panel you can see. Just hold the end of the screwdriver there until you hear a change in the noise. This type noise can also happen if you drop a tiny screw into a power supply, or behind your mainboard.

#16 ·
The vibration is in sync though, every couple of seconds on a rhythm. What in a computer case operates on a rhythm? Here's a video of it happening now:

Identifying Case Vibration - YouTube

#17 ·
Even at the end of the video I could still hear it. It could be your CPU fan resonating through the standoffs to the case. You may want to very gently hold (stop) the CPU fan from spinning after initial bootup for about 30-40 seconds. Don't worry it won't hurt anything just be sure to ground yourself and also be touching the PSU with the other hand as well. Done this many times myself, and to restart the fan just the slightest flick of one finger. See if when the CPU fan is not spinning the noise persists.

#18 ·
The only problem with that troubleshooting procedure is that there is no telling that the noise will be present upon booting the PC. I'd have to wait for the computer to make the sound (which may be any time throughout the day) and then at that moment, open the side door and do what you've said for 30-40 seconds.

Would that work?

#22 ·
Yes, but be very careful. I already know that likely it has to do with one of your fans. We need to find out which one. It does not mean that the fan is actually the culprit it could also be a mis-mounted mobo (standoff too loose) causing the CPU fan to 'auger' when at a certain RPM - thus it's actually the standoff causing the issue. It could also be another fan with a slight imbalance affecting a panel. Try my screwdriver method as well if you can.

#19 ·
The rhythmic 'beating' seems to be 2 (or more) fans very slightly off balance, causing a slight resonance between them (similar to listening to a guitar or piano being tuned, when the 2 notes are slightly off-tune, there's a slight 'pulsing' that slows as the notes get closer).

The only snag is I can't see how to test them with the side-panel on

How many case-fans and where are they?

#20 ·
Only one case fan, the exhaust fan you saw in the video. The only other fan is the CPU fan.

#21 ·
It's a bit of a long-shot (it likely won't work if a fan-blade is out-of-balance or the bearings are slightly worn), but try tightening the exhaust-fan screws, if they're already tight try loosening 1 (or more) slightly, just a few degrees - That might be enough to dampen the resonance.

Alternatively, some rubber/silicone washers between the fan and case should dampen the vibrations.

#23 ·
You might try giving that heatsink a good cleaning so the cpu fan doesn't have to spin so fast.

Off topic, but you should think about putting filters on those open vents.

#24 · (Edited)
Don't mean the resurrect this old thread but I realized what the source of the vibration is but I can't seem to find out how to stop it. If the case is vibrating/ making sound, all I do is lay one finger/apply pressure on roughly the center of the side panel/door and then it becomes whisper quit. It's the door that is rattling..

But then again, referring to the video I posted earlier, it still makes the sound when the side door is off (when I'm inside the tower looking around), so I'm confused now...

#25 ·
Mmmmmm.... it does sound as if the case assembly is loose somewhere, likely a bad pop-rivet or 2 somewhere.

Does it stop the sound of you press the panel on t'other side? If so, the easiest way I can think of is to cut 2x approx 2"-3" length of 'Gaffa-tape' (Duct-tape), then cut it in half lengthways to give 4 full-length strips. Use them to tape the top, front, base and rear panels together, inside the case. That should (hopefully) dampen or severely reduce the vibrations.

#26 ·
No, touching the side door on the side of the case that the board is mounted doesnt do anything. Its only when I push my finger on th other door that the sound stop.

#27 ·
In that case, try sticking some of the narrow strips along the edges of the case-guides/'lips', where the side-panel slides along when closing (lay the centre of the strip along the edge of the metalwork, then fold down both sides). You might well need to cut the strips in half again, so the tape doesn't show when the panel is attached.

That should act as a padding between the panel and the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.