Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Mac Still runs great update?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Migs123 
#1 ·
Hello,
I am in a coding bootcamp right now and I am loving it by the way. At school we use iMacs so I was able to get a macbook, but it is from 2007. It had 1 gig of ram, and I upgraded the RAM to 4 gigs. The specs are in my profile. Ever since I upgraded the RAM, it has been performing flawlessly. It never crashes. The only problem is that I have an old operating system. I have what I think is Snow Leopard? and I would like to upgrade to Yosemite. I can't get anything from the App store since it doesn't allow me to download anything since I don't have OS 10.10. Where would I get a copy of Yosemite, and would it be worth it? The only issue I have with this computer is that with I need to push my code to GitHub and GitHub no longer supports the version of safari that I am using. Also I can't install Chrome, and I need it for the developer tools. I can install a portable version, but it also says it is no longer supported.
Could I update to yosemite by getting the file from somewhere else and then installing it?
Also
Concerning web browsers, am I at risk for malware if I am using an outdated version of safari? Everything is up to date for this OSx.
I really like this computer and it is super easy to code on. I am tired of my PC which I pretty much just use Linux on, but it has a tiny screen and is annoying.
Please don't say,"you need a new computer" because I would like to make the best of what I have and it is super fast and smooth.
It's crazy this computer is from 2007 and it runs better than many PCS!!!:dance:

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
To add to what etaf is saying, go to the Apple icon in the upper Left corner and choose About this Mac, this will tell you what OS you are running. You can update snow leopard 10.6 to it's latest 10.6.8 by going to Software Update under the apple logo.
You must have 10.6.8 to update to a newer OS. If you have an older version of Mac OS (ie) 10.5, you must first update to 10.6.8 to upgrade to latest OS.
If you have 10.6.8 you can update via the app store to Yosemite or El Capitan.

#4 · (Edited)
To add to what etaf is saying, go to the Apple icon in the upper Left corner and choose About this Mac, this will tell you what OS you are running. You can update snow leopard 10.6 to it's latest 10.6.8 by going to Software Update under the apple logo.
You must have 10.6.8 to update to a newer OS. If you have an older version of Mac OS (ie) 10.5, you must first update to 10.6.8 to upgrade to latest OS.
iIf you have 10gt\.6.8 you can update via the app store to Yosemite or El Capitan.

I have the latest version of 10.6.8, Here are the specs.I can't download apps from the app store because it says that I need OS 10.0 to downoad from the app store,
so It is a 32 bit processor too right? so I would have to download the dmg file from the store

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB31.008E.B02
SMC Version (system): 1.24f3
Serial Number (system): W87461RKZ64
Hardware UUID: 86266B4E-7A55-5D2B-B84E-0829893E1E45
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name:
User Name:
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No
Time since boot: 14:27

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.