Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

new MBP pro versus old MBP

This is a discussion on new MBP pro versus old MBP within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, So I've been running my MBP 13 in 2010 model for nearly a year now. While I've not

Old 10-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,
So I've been running my MBP 13 in 2010 model for nearly a year now. While I've not had any serious problems with its running, of late I've been noticing a slight slow down in the performance. While boot up and shut down times are still good, the webpages seem to betaking a little while to load up.

Basically Firefox, Safari, and Word pages don't load up in a snap.

I felt the difference even more when a friend recently bought hte newly launched MBP 13 in model with the core i7 processor. The bus speed of 1337 MHz is much higher than my comps which is 1067 MHz. I could immediately notice the difference in performance between this and my laptop. e.g. pages in Safari start loading and come up almost immediately, while they take a little while in my comp.

So, I am wondering if I need to format the internal HDD and reinstall the OS?
On on this subject, does one need to reinstall the MAC OS every now and then like say one needs to with Windows?

Thanks!

Old 11-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired

OS: Mac OS X 10.6.8 & 10.8.3, MS Win 7 Pro & Ultimate, iOS 7.0.6

My System

Send a message via AIM to sinclair_tm Send a message via MSN to sinclair_tm

I never do. Slowdowns can be the cause of full hard drives, old hard drives (they get slower the older they are), newer software using more RAM, page files getting large, cache folders filling up.

Quote:
it's human nature to stand in line...
-my brother
sinclair_tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
Registered Member

i see. but wouldn't formatting help clear up broken files, cache folders, or any other kind of cluttering?
i am wondering if you've noticed any significant difference in performance after formatting a system?
e.g. windows systems used to be notorious for starting to slow down due to file corruptions, fragmentation etc.
i am wondering if the same holds true for UNIX based OS's like Mac and Linux.
Thanks!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired

OS: Mac OS X 10.6.8 & 10.8.3, MS Win 7 Pro & Ultimate, iOS 7.0.6

My System

Send a message via AIM to sinclair_tm Send a message via MSN to sinclair_tm

I only do new installs when I upgrade the OS or install a new hard drive. Unix OSes take care of themselves when it comes to those kinds of things, if left on over night when they run the cleanup tasks. You can manually run the tasks. Search with Google to find their commands.

Quote:
it's human nature to stand in line...
-my brother
sinclair_tm is offline   Reply With Quote