Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacBook Pro Wi-Fi continually dropping out

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Any help on the below would be welcome.

I have a relatively new (6 months) Mac Pro. Running OS-x Yosemite. Trouble-free till now.

Recently, I have been getting plagued by repeated Wi-Fi drop-outs. This happens every day, several times.

The Wi-Fi connection will go down, apparently spontaneously and randomly. The statement on the Status report on the Network panel typically says "Wi-Fi is using self-assigned IP address <ip address> and will not connect tp the internet"

Turning Wi-Fi off and then back on again usually (but not always) causes it to find an IP address and to come back on, then working normally. But then it will drop out again after a few minutes. Going through the diagnostics almost always results in it coming back on.

Power-cycling the Hub also brings the Wi-Fi connection back up, presumably by triggering the diagnostics process. I don't believe there is a fault with the Hub ( a fairly old BT Broadband model), since that is also serving another (Windows PC) laptop in the house, without problems.

As I write this, I notice that the Wi-Fi connection has remained up for over 30 minutes, and I have noticed before that there periods of continuous connectivity, but if that's because of specific circumstances, I've no idea what they are.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have run the Wireless Diagnostics App on OS-X Yosemite. This produced a report saying that the hub may be suffering from congested channels. This doesn't sound plausible as there is usually no other traffic sharing the hub.

It also told me to check that the network location was set to 'automatic' . This it wasn't, but correcting that has ultimately made no difference.

Couldn't find the signal strength monitor app.

I am ready to get myself a new hub, but since the other computer in the house works without problems I haven't got much confidence that this is the answer.

Since the original post I have had extended periods ( 2 days once)of trouble-free operation, leading to me to believe the problem had gone away. But today's experience - multiple drop-outs over a period of hours - indicates it hasn't.

Are Macs more sensitive to marginally-operating hubs?

Any more ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

#7 ·
OK, I'll get a new router.

Any recommendations of good types/makes to go for?

I'm guessing the range is largely standardised for domestic routers. My own situation is that I am normally very close to the router, but ability to reach to a garden cabin would be a bonus.

Thanks for the advice.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.