Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Which should I use for my machine ?

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Gdn8Melbourne 
#1 ·
Ubuntu 14.04 32 bit or 64 bit ?
My machine is little older with 4 GB DDR2 RAM and a core2duo processor, with a brand new hard disk.
All I do is Internet use and Graphical editing in Gimp, inkscape, darktable etc. I don't use 3D softwares like Blender and have no GPU.
Which version should I go for ?

#3 ·
Re: Which should I use for my machine ?

Do you use wine with any 32bit windows applications?
If yes, then possibly better to install 32bit, if not 64bit.
I have Ubuntu 14.10 working on my Acer laptop, 4G RAM and Dual Core processor with Intel 815 graphics chaipset and it works perfectly.

#5 ·
Re: Which should I use for my machine ?

64bit OS will take advantage over your full amount of RAM, so if you have 4G and over 64bit will be better.

Any application that can use 64bit instructions will run faster as well, but bear in mind, just like windows that some software may be wrote for 32bit archietecture. 64bit Ubuntu has been running fine on both my laptop and desktop computers.

#6 ·
64bit OS will take advantage over your full amount of RAM, so if you have 4G and over 64bit will be better.

Any application that can use 64bit instructions will run faster as well, but bear in mind, just like windows that some software may be wrote for 32bit archietecture. 64bit Ubuntu has been running fine on both my laptop and desktop computers.
I think I will try 64bit then.

One thing more... Is it recommended to have a separate partition for data and storing files or to have a large home partition ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.