Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Linux Support

Ubuntu 10.10... iPod smart playlist

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 10.10... iPod smart playlist within the Linux Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys...i've recently switched to Linux and use an iPod classic as life support.... The software to manage misc on

Old 12-30-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys...i've recently switched to Linux and use an iPod classic as life support....

The software to manage misc on iPod is clementine which I am finding quite useful but there are two major issues I WA wondering some one could help me with

Firstly, the smart playlists on clementine seem good but is there a way to import them to iPod??
I will be happy to switch to another player if there was any that could do that.... A much as I hatred iTunes, didn't think I a will miss importable smart playlists so much...

Secondly.... I used to listen to songs on iPod and mark them with stars on rating....the single stars used to be markers would get deleted...but I can't see my ratings on clementine so clearly....some songs do show some stars but they are all five stars and 'faded'.... Is there any way to be able to see the rating when I connect to clementine so I can edit my collection??

Also, there was a third issue I forgot earlier....I tried to tag songs...by editing the composer section of the songs....it seemed to work well for the songs that were in the library...i.e.....on the laptop... But the tagging didn't work for the songs on the iPod!!!.... Don't know why...

Should I change my player?... Our will I need a separate software for tagging...I don't mind a long a it will work...

Many thanks for your advice...

In windows I used to use mediamonkey for playback and tagging....it WA very good....iTunes for smart playlists and uploading onto iPod....and share pod for backing up.... The combination was fantastic....

I am hoping to find a similar equilibrium in Linux....

Thanks for your time

Old 12-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
Manager
- Alternative Computing
- Design

My System

Send a message via AIM to wmorri Send a message via MSN to wmorri

Hi,

I have never used Clementine before, and I am sure that it is a good program but I have had success with Rhythmbox. It was has great support for iPod, I have a shuffle. I believe that everything should work that you are asking about. If not I will find something that will work for you.

Cheers!

Linux Forever!|html5 boilerplate
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmorri
Hi,

I have never used Clementine before, and I am sure that it is a good program but I have had success with Rhythmbox. It was has great support for iPod, I have a shuffle. I believe that everything should work that you are asking about. If not I will find something that will work for you.

Cheers!
+1

Also check out gtkpod that is a program explicitly for managing devices
Old 12-31-2011, 01:14 AM   #4
Registered Member

Awesome stuff guys..... Thanks for your replies....
I shall certainly try them up and tell you how I get along...
Cheers
Old 03-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie.Dean.19

+1

Also check out gtkpod that is a program explicitly for managing devices
Okay

Tried loads of stuff... Thanks for you're suggestions.... Here is the report

Rhythmbox
Good, efficient and seemed quick... Allows tagging of tracks, but limited tags that can be edited.... So wasn't good enough for me... But I still use it to play music...

Gtkipod
Perfect... Has some quirks.... But which software doesn't.... Allows multiple tagging and the full range of tag able list.... Also smart list etc...
So for people who were using mediamonkey on windows.... This is it...

Clementine
Seems very friendly to work with.... But not intuitive in many places which throws you off.... I couldn't get it to open a folder containing subfolders.... I'm sure there is way but couldn't waste time then.... Will try again....
But that was such as severe impediment to Mu using it that I just couldn't....
But I like the interface better than others....

easytag
I tried this to tag my music.... Complicated and tricky... It does appeal to my technical side.... And it should be easy to figure after knowing some basics.... But I was time tied when I tried it... So had to dump it quickly....
Old 03-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
Registered Member

Glad you found software to your liking and thanks for summarizing your finds..

At the end of the day I too use rhythm box and gtkpoddr