Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Linux Support

Remove Ubuntu, Install XP

This is a discussion on Remove Ubuntu, Install XP within the Linux Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. On a laptop with no floppy disk drive I needed to remove Ubuntu and install XP. I do not have

Old 06-02-2007, 06:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

On a laptop with no floppy disk drive I needed to remove Ubuntu and install XP.
I do not have an original system disk but do have a an XP home edition CD. I had partitioned and formated but when I run the XP CD it just tells me it did not find any hard drives. It said I should properly connect a properly configered drive.

I see from other answer on this problem that advice is given variously to use the XP CD or the Ubuntu CD but neither answer seems to offer a solution that I can use.

I tried other boot CD's but they just give a prompt. I tried loading Win 98 and it work but when I then put the XP Cd in to update I get the same no drive message.

I am lost on this one folks.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:27 AM   #2
K-B
Engines are Afeared of Me

My System

What filesystem did you format it to? How did you format at? (What program)

Old 06-02-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
Registered Member

Fat32
Old 06-02-2007, 07:43 AM   #4
Registered Member

Sorry with the Win98 CD fdisk.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:24 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi Kyle

Well I put a Ubuntu live CD in and tried to run the command line fdisk and it said I needed a DOS Partition Table. When I ran that it told me the sector size is 2048 (not 512).

I am not to good after that?
Old 06-02-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
K-B

My System

Download the GParted Live CD (about 50MB) from http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=173828.
Burn it to a CD and boot from it. Delete all the existing partitions, make sure to apply the changes. Do not create new partitions.
After you've done that, boot from the XP disk and try the installer again.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #7
Registered Member

I did have gParted on CD and did as you suggested and got the same message, no dirve. I have been reading some of the other threads and it seems the MBR is what may be missing but I do not know how to replace it?
Old 06-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
K-B

My System

Ok, let's try formatting the MBR.
Insert the XP CD, after it has loaded all the files, instead of starting the installer, press "R" to boot to the recovery console. Once you're in the Recover Console, type "fixmbr" (no quotes) and allow it to reset the MBR. Then try the installer again.
We'll figure this out
Old 06-02-2007, 12:43 PM   #9
Registered Member

Oh dear. I tried that as well and it comes up with exactly the same no drive message. You can get no futher because all you can do is shut down.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:03 PM   #10
Registered Member

I must admit that having been usiong Window since Win2 it realy is the first time this has happened to me. I am only about a year into Ubuntu anmd other linux bistros so just a new boy. Does Grub place the boot sequence inside the same portion as Windows and mask it perhaps. Just grasping at an answer I guess.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:38 AM   #11
K-B

My System

the command fixmbr should remove GRUB as long as it was installed to the MBR. If GRUB was installed to the root folder of Ubuntu, then deleting that partition should have removed it.
I really can't think what else to do, I've never done that. One thing you could try is to boot from the GParted CD again and create a NTFS partition.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:45 AM   #12
Registered Member

Kyle NTFS does not help either. It seems I either need to purchase a USA CD drive or a USA floppy drive just to get over this one problem. What a hassel getting rid of Linux.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:56 AM   #13
K-B

My System

Maybe the people at Ubuntu forums would be able to help you.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:58 AM   #14
Registered Member

Thanks a lot Kyle but again I am on that Forum and they could not either and two other list are as flumuxed by it so we are not alone.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:31 AM   #15
K-B

My System

Wow, I really wish I could get to the bottom of this. I'll keep investigating, if you do find the fix I'd like to know, for the next time.

EDIT: Could you run the Ubuntu Live CD and run the fdisk command, then post the exact error message you get?
Old 06-05-2007, 03:52 AM   #16
Registered Member

OK from Ubuntu live disk load.

Terminal

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk /dev/hda

Unable to open dev/hda

Uubuntu@ubuntu:~$

So I guess it cannot now read the Fat32 disk.

If I format for Ubuntu it will of course but that gets me no futher.