Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need help trying to install an OS over Ubuntu

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  kendallt 
#1 · (Edited)
So I have this laptop that is pretty new, but just extremely slow when trying to do anything and has been since the day I bought it. It had Windows 8.1 at the start which I eventually just let update to 10. There wasn't any difference and since it had no CD drive I made a bootable USB with Ubuntu to install that.

The problem is some of the programs I want to use with it that I have on my main computer aren't compatible or run terribly with Wine. So now I want to switch back.

I tried to make multiple bootable USBs for Windows XP, 7, and 8 (to see if I can just go back to 10 from that) by downloading ISOs. None of them would work when I go into F2 and try to boot from USB, it just flashes and takes me back to that menu with no progress. I don't know if I did it wrong somehow but it was with the same program that I used to make a bootable for Ubuntu, "rufus2.8".

The laptop is an ASUS X200MA.

Can anyone give me some help with this, I just want to install any version of Windows I can from XP and up. No dual booting just a complete re-installation of the OS.

#4 ·
That does seem to be the problem actually, but when trying to use Active@ KillDisk to make a bootable USB for it on my main computer that still doesn't seem to work. I got the message saying it was successful but when trying to boot from the drive containing Kill Disk on the laptop, nothing happened and it just takes me back to the F2 boot menu.

#7 ·
No that's not it.That doesn't look like UEFI bios either.
The only other thing would be to boot to Parted Magic and delete the partition
but you can't seem to boot to usb device.
Can yhou boot to F12 or F9 and choose the usb device to boot to, with no UEFI Bios you should be able to do that. Start tapping each after pressing the power button until you see the option to choose boot device.

#8 ·
Pressing F12, F9, and F8 just flicker the screen and toggle it from black to the Ubuntu boot up menu each time they're pressed. If left black it still starts up eventually like usual.

Would a disc be a much easier option? I was looking into an external drive that plugs into USB to let me test out a physical copy but not sure if it would just have the same issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.