Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Linux Support

mixers

This is a discussion on mixers within the Linux Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I want to use mixer commands on the command line. I have looked at and tried amixer a bunch because

Old 04-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
Registered Member

I want to use mixer commands on the command line. I have looked at and tried amixer a bunch because it seems to be the simplest?? to use.
I have tried numerous permutations of amixer set MASTER 100% and amixer set MASTER unmute and it gives me:
amixer: Unable to find simple control 'MASTER',0 etc.
I know I am having trouble finding the control names and also that it seems to say apply the values after the control name but when I enter 100% unmute after MASTER I get the same old confusing responses. Maybe I am misinterpreting as I've been here before with audio and barely escaped alive.
Is there a list which specifies use this for volume and this value for it or this is how to unmute the CD playback? Yes, I have read manpage!! but that is also confusing and seems to lack specificity. Oh well its probably just me but can someone help clarify?

Old 04-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
Emeritus

My System

Any particular reason for using amixer over alsamixer? I think alsamixer's ncurses-based interface is fairly easy to use. Left/right arrows to select lines, up/down to increase/decrease volume. 'm' mutes/unmutes. Escape should quit. There are other keys to do fancier things, but most of the time I doubt you'll need them.

Has it been a few days since I replied to your thread? Don't panic! I'm usually very busy and may forget a post if I'm extra busy (or it might just take me a while to be able to do a decent reply). If you still need help and are awaiting my reply after a few days, PM me about it.

When posting what errors you get, please give the full message. It makes helping you much easier.
shuuhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yes, the alsamixer is good if you don't need to use it in a shell script. I don't believe it has a command line equivalent other than amixer. As you see I had trouble with amixer, too. It does not seem to function as advertised.