Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loss of all icons and start menu

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  JAMMAN 
#1 · (Edited)
Firstly, Hello everyone, I'm a newbie here !

All my desktop icons escaped into cyberspace somewhere, along with the start up menu, although my background picture has remained ???

This problem has had me pulling my hair out (my excuse for going bald), and I've tried most of the ideas folks have suggested, which leads me to another problem.

I bought this laptop second hand, and I was given the password to start it up, and all was going well, until recently that is, when all the icons etc disappeared.
One of the solutions suggested pressing Ctrl and F1, which took me to a black screen that needs a "User" name, and knowing next to nothing about computers apart from turning the thing on, using the interweb, and turning it off, I don't know what to put in the "User" field ???
I tried the password I was given, then it asked for the password, so I put it in there too, but then I found I was stuck on that black screen as that didn't work, so I had only one option, a forced shut down, which is what I have to do everytime I need to switch this thing off, due to the lack of a start menu.

In order to get on the internet, I switch it on as normal, wait about 40 - 50 seconds until the desktop picture appears, and that's all that happens, no icons, and no start menu, which means I have no way to shut down normally.
I then right click on the background picture, and a small drop down list appears, at the bottom of that list, I click on "Change Background".
That window opens ok, and in the top left corner is a "All Settings" tab. In that window I click the "Diagnostics" tab also in the top left, then in the next window there is a link to a "privacy Policy", and when I click on that, it opens a website for Ubuntu.com, and BINGO ! I'm on the "ol interweb !
I have to go through all that everytime I go on line, although there's nothing else I can do with this machine, because of the lack of icons and access etc. Then when I'm finished, I have to do a forced shut down, by holding the "on" button until it knocks off.

Here are the only details I can give you about this machine:

Make of laptop: Eee (I've never heard of them either)

Operating system: Linux (I think)

I wish I knew more about this computer malarky, then perhaps I could be of more help, but when it comes computers, I have the IQ of a house brick !

If anyone can help me sort this out, I'd be highly appreciated.

P.S.
Dear Santa, could you please deliver a new (known) laptop, complete with Windows and Internet Explorer on Christmas morning for me, and I will make sure there will be a Sherry and some mince pie's for you and Rudolf !

P.P.S.
I would leave the whole bottle of Sherry out for you, but I don't want you rat-faced on you're epic journey !

Zig

See less See more
#4 ·
Yes the ctrl/alt/t usually reliably brings up the terminal in most distros.

First what you are experiencing isn't among the "usual" problems that happens.

Do you have access to another computer to download and burn a DVD?

AND does the DVD drive work in your current laptop?

I'm thinking boot to the ubuntu live DVD and run some disk diagnostics to see if your hard drive is failing.

After that if the HD is healthy I'm out of suggestions except for reloading the OS which you will find rather easy in Ubuntu.

Somebody else who has had a similar problem might chime in I'm hoping so :)

The avatar... I don't know if it is even legal here any more since it moves. It is from YEARS ago when I first joined, I just now started posting again. Thank you!

#5 ·
I then right click on the background picture, and a small drop down list appears, at the bottom of that list, I click on "Change Background"
If you can right-click to 'Change Background' it means you're at the desktop, which also means your system is set up to auto login. You know your password but you also need your user name.

I click the "Diagnostics" tab also in the top left, then in the next window there is a link to a "privacy Policy", and when I click on that, it opens a website for Ubuntu.com, and BINGO ! I'm on the "ol interweb!
Find your user name:
Open the web browser again as you did through Diagnostics. Hold down Ctrl and click S. In the two-pane window that opens, the left side list should show 'Search' 'Recently used' 'your-user-name' 'Desktop' and 'File System'. If your user name is not shown, click on 'File System' and in the list on the right, double-click on 'home' to open it... you will see your user name. Click Cancel at the bottom right... no need to save the web page.

I click on "Change Background". That window opens ok, and in the top left corner is a "All Settings" tab. In that window I click...
Create a new user:
The All Settings window is your system's Control Panel or Control Center. In the Control Panel window, find the icon for Users/Groups or Add User. You want to add/create a new user... which will create a new, default desktop with icons for that user. If appropriate, write down the new user name and the new user password.

One of the solutions suggested pressing Ctrl and F1, which took me to a black screen that needs a "User" name
Reboot the computer:
Now that you know the current user name and password, hold down Ctrl+Alt and click on F1. After you log in type
Code:
sudo reboot
enter your current password to restart the computer.

When the computer reboots, it should present a page to choose which user you want to log in as. Click on the new user you added and enter the new password. The system should log you into the default desktop with icons.

#6 ·
Thank you for taking the trouble to try and help me alderon and Jamman, but alas, all routes have failed.
I have been over and over everything you said, for the last few hours, but this "THING" has finally beating me into submission !
I'm going to use this horrid machine just for the interweb (while I still can), and in the meanwhile, I'll save my pennies and hope for something of a known make, in the January sales.

Thank you both for you're help and advice, it's been extremely appreciated.

I wish you both a fantastic Christmas and a terrific new year, thank you.

Zig

#7 ·
Your machine is probably an Asus tripleE. It dates back to 2007 and would take a legal copy of WindowsXP if you format the HD. For what a new low end computer would cost, it's better to use your unit as a very large doorstop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.