Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linux distro for data recovery/partition creation & resizing - suggestions?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sobeit 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

I am looking for a Linux Distro that would allow me to not just for recovering data, but I'm looking for one that allows me to resize and create partitions - and to move data from one partition filesystem to another partition with a different file system (or something like that).

The reason that I'm asking is that I'm planning to turn my 8 year old desktop computer system - into a Linux File Server (or possibly a NAS device).

Here's what my proposed plan:
  • Back up all data on all drives into a separate folder on the first partition that is formatted with NTFS
  • Create a Linux ext2/ext3 partition that will allow me to copy the data from the NTFS partition to the ext2/ext3 partition
  • Remove the NTFS partition and reclaim the disk space that was formerly used by the NTFS partition and resize it towards the ext2/ext3 partition

While many of you folks may realize that my plan isn't that "realistic", those are just my proposed plans at the moment.

Do you have any suggestions for my particular scenario and also, which particular Linux distro do you suggest for partitions/data recovery?

See less See more
#2 ·
most linux distros has gparted or you can create a separate bootable disk with gparted. It will do everything you want it to do.

GParted -- A free application for graphically managing disk device partitions

as far as a linux distro - check out linux mint. it is very user friendly

Download - Linux Mint

personally my fileserver is my netgear n600 router. it has a usb port and has readyshare. I have usb hub attached to the router with 4, 1tb drives plugged into it. I can access those drives no matter what device or computer I am on in my network. In addition it assigns an ip address to each drive where I can access them no matter where in the world I am in - as long as I remember the password. my own little cloud :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.