Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Linux Support

knoppix and Modems

This is a discussion on knoppix and Modems within the Linux Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Can some one tell me how to have Knoppix "Live" CD detect a modem on a pc when using dial-up

Old 03-20-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Mysta1956 Send a message via MSN to Mysta1956 Send a message via Yahoo to Mysta1956

Can some one tell me how to have Knoppix "Live" CD detect a modem on a pc when using dial-up to access the net. The ISP is Aol but when I try to open it from Knoppix, it does nothing.

then I treid to manually set-up the dialup program in knoppix but don't know how to get it to detect the modem installed on the system. Can't query it all.

It's an XP PC.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:48 AM   #2
K-B
Engines are Afeared of Me

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysta1956 View Post
Can some one tell me how to have Knoppix "Live" CD detect a modem on a pc when using dial-up to access the net. The ISP is Aol but when I try to open it from Knoppix, it does nothing.

then I treid to manually set-up the dialup program in knoppix but don't know how to get it to detect the modem installed on the system. Can't query it all.

It's an XP PC.
What kind of modem is it? If it's a 'softmodem" or a "WinModem" you might be out of luck.
I'd need to know most importantly what chipset it is, and the brand & model.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Mysta1956 Send a message via MSN to Mysta1956 Send a message via Yahoo to Mysta1956

It's an Intel 537EP modem. Does that help you any? I'm learning Linux, so any help would be appreciated. I Really like what I've seen so far. Is it really "All That?"

Thx.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #4
K-B
Engines are Afeared of Me

My System

You're in luck! There's Linux drivers for that modem. Here's a link to the drivers:
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...inux*&lang=eng

And here's the README installation instructions:
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/df-s...ENG/readme.txt
Old 03-21-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
Registered Member

ok, but can you give me some steps on how to manually set it up. New at Linux and need some help.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:39 AM   #6
Mentally divergent

mysta -
A couple of years ago, when I first installed a Linux OS to a test PC, I thought I was going to be online in about five minutes, and moving away from Windows roughly one minute later.

It didn't work that way.

First off, as Kyle says, most winmodems don't work with Linux. So I bought a couple of old external Sportster hardware modems on ebay.
Then, I had all kinds of trouble with my ISP, which uses proprietary software to connect. That 5 minutes had now turned into 6 months.
Then, I finally realized that dial-up is just pathetic for Linux. That's because there are so many things you can do to customize your install, but most of that requires large downloads. And you can't (well, it can be done but complicated) just download stuff to a USB thumb drive from someone else's computer then bring it home.

I'm not familiar with how Knoppix works. It runs off the CD, right? I don't know how (or if it's even possible) to add drivers if the Linux OS is running completely off the CD.

If you're still using AOL software to connect, that's going to be the next problem.

My first suggestion is to look into broadband, either DSL or cable. If broadband is unavailable or too expensive, think hard about finding an ISP who doesn't use any proprietary software to get you online, then dropping AOL.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:05 AM   #7
Registered Member

That bad, huh? Well, this isn't for me anyway, but I am the one trying to learn Knoppix. Would it be better for me to run the OS from the PC,or continue using the CD? And is there a great difference btwn Knoppix / Linux, or are they the same thing? Confused.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:36 AM   #8
Mentally divergent

If the Microsoft monoculture is all you've known, there will be some confusion as you try to wrap your mind around the present state of Linux. Unlike Microsoft, where your only choices are to use the present OS or the previous ones that Microsoft is trying to obsolete as quickly as possible, there are a mind-boggling variety of choices in modern Linux distros.
But it's not as complex as you might think because there are also similarities, and a lot of stuff is shared between distros. For instance, a bunch of distros use OpenOffice as the word processor.

Knoppix is simply a version of Linux that has always been geared towards running off the CD. That's about all I know about Knoppix. I seem to remember reading that if you're going to install to the HDD, there are better choices.

If you scroll back thru the last few weeks or months you'll see plenty of threads discussing solid distros that are suitable for newbs. PCLOS, Ubuntu, Simply Mepis, OpenSUSE, Mint Linux, etc.