Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Linux Support

Installing Ubuntu on MacBook Pro

This is a discussion on Installing Ubuntu on MacBook Pro within the Linux Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all! I'm having trouble installing Ubuntu 11.10 in dual boot with Mac OS X Lion on my MacBook Pro

Old 12-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all!

I'm having trouble installing Ubuntu 11.10 in dual boot with Mac OS X Lion on my MacBook Pro and I was wondering if anyone could help.

When I boot from my Ubuntu 11.10 CD I burned, I get two options: replace Mac OS X with Ubuntu or "Something Else." So I clicked on "Something Else", since I want to do Dual Boot. Then I get a screen which has a bunch of hard drive stuff on it and has options like "Add", "Delete", "New Partition Table", "Install", etc. There's a single orange bar at the top of the screen which just shows my hard drive space.

All of the documentation I've read says that there should be an option to just simply install Ubuntu alongside Mac OS X, but I don't see anything like that and I don't feel comfortable proceeding with anything until I know what's going on.

Can anyone help?

Old 12-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
Registered Member

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Currently awaiting Ubuntu 12.04

My System

Just to make sure it'd not an error in the download or anything, you should check the checksums of the ISO. If all is well then try booting from a USB (it's a faster installation) or re-burning the image to another CD. If the "problem" still persists then just go on with manually creating the partitions. It's not really hard at all.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
having trouble installing java on my linux OS
The linux OS i am using is ubuntu 9.10 linux OS. I type three commands in sequential order recommended to me to install java: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ferramroberto/java sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin here is the output that results when I...
Pentazoid Linux Support 3 12-12-2011 08:58 PM
Multiple bsods all related to different drivers help!(zip attached)....
Alright this has been bugging me for a long time, I keep getting bsods on a self built machine, everytime I seem to have beaten one another pops up I just dont know what to do, ive tried updating, replacing drivers, replacing the memory everything im at my wits end can you take a look at my zip...
thatcrazypengui BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 5 09-01-2011 10:51 PM
redirec/virus
Hi, i have problem with my browser, sometimes i got redirect to other page i try norton antivirus and S&D sybot, but can solve my problem sometimes.. after rediredt browser trying to open adobe reader too please help me..thanks . DDS (Ver_11-03-05.01) - NTFSx86 Run by Ronald at...
theronald Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 27 05-01-2011 08:27 PM
browser redirect help
I am using firefox and as of two days ago everything was fine. Then I started having issues with my browser redirecting. I ran the combofix software and these are the results. Can someone please assist me as to what I should do next? ComboFix 11-04-03.03 - jats5 04/04/2011 13:48:01.1.4 - x64...
jatspic5 Inactive Malware Help Topics 2 04-16-2011 08:53 AM
DirectX Error [moved from Vista/7]
I've been told to run dxdiag, but when I do it says Error: Could not load dxdiagn.dll I've also downloaded DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer. However, when I attempt to install direct x, this appears: An internal system error occured. Please refer to DXerror.log and DirectX.log in...
eiliant BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 1 02-07-2011 02:29 AM