Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A linux dual boot question

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  hal8000 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

I know linux (specifically xubuntu in my case) can be installed on the same SDD as Windows. But I have a small SDD. I want to put xubuntu onto my SD card. It shows up in the partition selection under xubuntu's install options.

My question is this: if I install to the SD card, will the default BIOS see that the SD is now a bootable drive and thus allow me to select it to boot from? Or will the MBR of the SDD running windows need to be modified?

#3 ·
Linux can be installed onto an SD card providing it is large enough. You would probably want a minimum card size of 64G
The SD card would probably be recognised as /dev/mmcblk0 or similar but the installer would partition the card for you.

However I would not recommend this method.
Once installed you have have to keep the card permanently installed as linux would have to read the grub configuration from the card.

If your hard drive is smaller than 2.2TB then it may have a standard partition table and MBR, if its larger than 2.2TB then it will have been setup as a GPT partition table.

Without knowing any other details (or sizes of hard drives) this question is unanswerable.
Is this a laptop or desktop?

#4 ·
Thanks for the infos! It is a Dell Venue 11 pro 7140 "tablet". Right now I am just using a live USB but would prefer to install the Xubuntu onto the USB itself.. The MicroSD is only 4GB but I read that it should be large enough... But would eventually run out of space for everything, hence the USB option is preferred. Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.