Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Win 98 & ME Support

Wiped clean Compaq Presario & Windows installation HELP!

This is a discussion on Wiped clean Compaq Presario & Windows installation HELP! within the Win 98 & ME Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi All - I'm new here and hope that someone can help. Yesterday we got a free Compaq Presario 5000

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 06:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi All - I'm new here and hope that someone can help. Yesterday we got a free Compaq Presario 5000 series desktop. The "gifter" told me that it had been wiped clean (no operating system), but she had the Recovery Disk and that would fix it. Hmmmm. You can guess what happened next:

I put the Recovery CD into the CD-Rom drive - I get the "Starting Windows 98 ....", then up comes the A:> prompt. I can get a directory from the CD (drive N:) and it shows 2 boot .bat files on the disk. I understand from hours of reading on the internet that Compaq doesn't infact put Windows on their Recovery Disks, but instead has them on a partition. I'm sort of at a loss now....

I'm very confused by all my internet reading....after trying a bunch of things at the C:> prompt, I finally typed in KQR.EXE thinking it had something to do with QuickRestore, and I get the Compaq Recovery Menu which gives me 5 choices - one of the choices says "No mirror image" or something similar. The computer won't go any further - any number I press gets me back to that A:> prompt!!

So....I'm thinking that there is something easy I'm overlooking - I'm not sure what to do now. I'm not really tech saavy and am about to give up on this "free" computer!

Any advice would be greatly appeciated....

Kara

Old 09-12-2007, 06:54 AM   #2
Registered Member

Oops - I meant to say that the files on the disk are named: bootcat.bin and bootsect.bin....
Thanks

Old 09-13-2007, 12:31 AM   #3
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

Hi Kara

What you're describing doesn't match the information that Compaq/hp provide on their support website - as far as the method of recovering the system. If your Presario had booted from the Recovery CD, you should have seen the Recovery menu, and not just a command prompt --- http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=11011&lang=en ---.
Are you fairly sure that the donor truly "wiped" the drive? [Perhaps they only meant to say that personal data was removed].

If you aren't sure if the system started from the CD-drive or not, here are the step-by-step instructions for checking on that, plus which Recovery Disks (some systems also have "Quick Restore" disks) to use --- http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=11011&lang=en

Actually, since you were able to use the KQR.exe executable to produce the Recovery Menu, if one of the options was "Full Recovery", you can try that. However, if the 4th menu item regarding "no mirror found" actually read "No Factory Image Found", then you'll need the "Quick Restore CDs" to perform the factory restore - and not the "Recovery CD". Unfortunately, that message would mean that your donor did in fact wipe the drive, removing the hidden Compaq restore partition. The Quick Restore CDs have a full disk image, including the original operating system that the PC shipped with. As you can see from the links on the Compaq support site, for many systems, you can still order replacement disks. I'm not sure what the price is lately, several years ago I believe in was around $20 (USD) - perhaps a tad more.

Best of luck
. . . Gary
Old 09-13-2007, 05:14 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi Gary - Thanks so much for the reply. My husband just asked "How long is this free computer going to sit on the kitchen counter?!". So I truly appreciate your assistance!

I actually did find that 2nd link you gave on the HP site and followed those instructions. The Boot Order is showing the CD Rom first. I get as far as the restart option and it comes up with the A:> prompt once again (and I believe that CD Rom is drive N:>). She (the gifter) told me that her brother "wiped" the hard drive, and he thinks he might have (by mistake) removed the operating system. Well, yes, I believe he did at least that! When I do manage to get the Compaq Recovery Menu (and that is only thru switching to the C:> prompt), there is no "full system restore" option, and nothing works anyways. Everything that I read pointed to QuickRestore disks if the "no mirror" is option #4. I was just hoping that it was something simple that I wasn't doing - and that if I could get it to boot from the CD Rom, that it would magically work! I don't think it's booting from the CD Rom, if the partition was erased would that result in this sort of thing happening? I'd guess that because I can do a directory on the CD that the CD Rom is working so it couldn't be a faulty disk or CD Rom drive, right?

I will look into buying the QuickRestore disks - I did ask her if she had anymore disks, but she didn't. Sorry to go on so long - this has been a challenge to say the least. She meant well...and I always hope for the best, so I'll see if I can get my hands on QuickRestore disks and see if that works...

Thanks again for the reply.
Kara
Old 09-15-2007, 02:12 AM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

Hi again

If the Compaq "Quick-Restore CDs" prove to be unpalatably expensive (or just simply unpalatible since they are for a somewhat outdated & non-supported operating system [Windows Me is no longer actively supported by Microsoft]) --- and if you aren't bound to Windows-based programs: you have another, free, option: a simple, easy-to-use Linux desktop like Ubuntu. It's disarmingly easy to use, and you can surf the web, listen to music, organize your photos, create CDs and DVDs, create Office-type documents-spreadsheets-presentations-databases-etc. with Open Office (and even save these in Microsoft-compatible formats), play games, etc. . . . . in other words - you can do most anything in Linux that you can do in Windows. It's also risk-free: you can test it out using just the Ubuntu installation CD as a "Live CD" (Ubuntu can run completely from the CD -- and then, if you like it & find it useful: you can install it onto your hard drive = which helps it load faster a perform better). Should that sound like something you'd like to try (at least you'd be able to use the PC right away!), here's a link to a webpage where you'll find download links for Ubuntu --- http://www.ubuntu.com/

*to run Ubuntu, I should mention, requires at least 256mb memory and 4gb of space for a hard drive installation (hard drive space requirement only applies if you are installing onto the hard drive).

If you need to run Windows software (or simply have a lot of Windows software lying around, and want to use it) -- well, the Quick Restore CDs might be worth it - if they come cheaply enough.

Of course, you could also check outside the window & see if it's raining pennies from heaven :)

Best of luck!
. . . Gary

[Another thing you could do: if a friend, family member, or neighbor has an old Windows 98se or Windows Me retail CD laying around, for which the original PC has since either been retired (to some happy silicon valley graveyard) or upgraded - you might be able to inherit that disk. Full-retail Windows 98/98se/Me disks are transferable, so long as the license is only in use for one PC.]
Old 07-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
Registered Member

I have the same or at least a similar problem. I "found" my Compaq Presario SR1040AN on a rubbish pile just around the corner from my house. It was in perfect condition apart from the fact that the OS was inaccessible due to a grub error, it had a Linux OS installed but as my main PC runs on Ubuntu 10.04 I opted to use the foundling as a backup with XP installed. The boot disc isn't a problem as I have a couple of XP counterfeits as well as a stack of various Linux distributions.
My problem is I need the disc for the motherboard as I need drivers for the ethernet card as well as the audio etc etc
I suppose they charge an arm and a leg for that as well.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
Registered Member

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...g=&product=top

I went to the above web site and they had EVERYTHING I needed heaps and more, and heaps of downloads , all the drivers and applications, fixits, whatsits etc etc etc
Thanks for your help guys, your kindness has helped me greatly. Cheers, Felix
By the way, I misjudged them, all the downloads were gratis.