Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Win 98 & ME Support

[SOLVED] Secondary IDE Channel No 80 Conductor Cable Installed

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Secondary IDE Channel No 80 Conductor Cable Installed within the Win 98 & ME Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey Guys, Recently I tried to connect my PC's modem to another PC's modem in order to share the single

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 02:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey Guys,

Recently I tried to connect my PC's modem to another PC's modem in order to share the single telephone connection line for internet. However, after turning on the PC, this error came up...

"Secondary IDE Channel No 80 Conductor Cable Installed"
"CMOS Checksum Error - Defaults Loaded"

I would appreciate it if I could get some insight into this problem.

Thanks

PS. No new hardware was installed.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:54 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

There are two kinds of cables. The older ones which are 40 connector and the newer ones that are 80 connector. You need to have a newer ribbon cable. Many of the newer ones have a Blue end, a gray middle, and a black end. Most of the older ones have all the same color and that is usually black.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

Hi ZoOom

Tumbleweed has answered your questions about the cable error: it's just informational, usually --- most drives are backward-compatible with the older 40-wire IDE, but they'll be limited in speed, and some newer cd/dvd burners will not record well with the older cables.

[The 'newer' (although all IDE cables are getting a bit dated) IDE cables have 80 wires, so looking carefully at the cable, you'll should be able to count them --- but both the 40-wire and the 80-wire cables have the same 40-pin connector to connect to the IDE controllers on the motherboard (or add-in PCI card)].

However - nothing you did with a phone cable should have affected your IDE cabling at all. So - were you inside the case? The "Checksum Error" occurs when the Bios Settings for your computer's motherboard are incorrect. A motherboard or system manual would help you to get the settings right (Google searches are handy at finding such info, as would be the vendor's support website if this is a brand-name computer). A Win9x system's CMOS battery might need replacing by now, too (about $1.50) - so if the system's time and date have reverted backwards several years - it needs a new battery (usually a coin-type 3v such as the CR-2032).

Also - you can't share the Internet by rigging analog phone lines between several PCs! Sharing a dial-up Internet connection is also a recipe for incredible frustration -- because today's Internet pages have so much data on them, cutting an already slow dial-up Internet connection's speed in half (by sharing it) would result in waiting a very long wait-time for just about anything.

However, should you have no other choice but to share a dial-up connection, your means to do so would be the Internet Connection Sharing ("ICS") setup for Win9x [I generally advise folks against this solution, though, since it's not very good]. Details on how to share with ICS are in your Win9x help files - just click on "Help" on your Start menu and search for ICS.

TIP: if you live in certain areas of Southern California, AT&T offers a $10 a month DSL service (it was a condition of their acquisitions of some local Comcast and Adelphia networks) -- you might want to check into that, if you live down here.

So - in short: forget about sharing dial-up (if you can), see if you qualify for $10/mo DSL, share broadband with a router, and get yourself a motherboard/system manual & check on your Bios battery & settings.

Best of luck
. . . Gary
Old 08-16-2007, 04:54 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Hi,

Some MB BIOS setups have the ability to turn off the 80 wire cable warning. If it doesn't happen every boot just ignore it otherwise turn it off.
Luck, Jim
Old 08-22-2007, 02:40 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hey Guys,

Initially, I would like to Thank "Tumbleweed36," "OldGrayGary," and "Jlp1928" for their assistance. Thankyou

I will look into buying a 80 Pin Conductor Cable.

Relative to Gary's feedback, 3 days before the Error occurred, I connected the 2 Front USB Ports to the Motherboard. After that I noticed a Resource Conflict between the Modem and the USB Ports. Within 2 days, the "CMOS Checksum Error" creeped up on me. As soon as I turn on my PC, its checks the memory and then this error messege shows...

"Secondary IDE Channel No 80 Conductor Cable Installed"
"CMOS Checksum Error - Defaults Loaded"

Nothing happens after the messege. Windows doesn't load. I tried to access BIOS Setup but no luck.

Thanks

Best Regards,
ZoOoM
Old 08-22-2007, 02:48 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Hi Zoom,

Sounds like you need to replace the backup Battery on the Mother board.

Luck, Jim
Old 08-22-2007, 03:31 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

This error is usually (not ironclad for sure) the result of two different possible problems or solutions whatever you wish to call them:

First, a bad battery can cause this, so I would do that as a first try at fixing it.

Second, a corrupt BIOS chip can cause this and you may have to replace the BIOS chips (not a big job, but a pain to mess with and around twenty or so bucks).

A far out option that I did not mention, is sometimes (once in a blue moon maybe or even less than that, so a real long shot), this error can be resolved by simply clearing CMOS. This is at least worth a try.

If I were you, I would do this plan.

>As suggested by OldGrayGary, don't share the dial-up.

>Replace the cable with an 80 connector cable. Try it and see what happens.

>Replace the motherboard battery. Check it again and see what happens. (when you take it out, then leave it out for a few minutes and this will clear the CMOS for you.

Report back with the results of your testing.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:23 PM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

Hi everyone -

I've been busy, so I'm just now returning to see how you're all doing.

Zoom - lots of good advice for you here: a team effort is a good thing!

Sorry that your system isn't booting at all: I wondered if I could add that you might want to leave the case open after you replace the CMOS battery (if you decide to try that). This way you can check that all the cabling looks right, that all the fans look like they are spinning OK, and that nothing seems too hot.

--- By the way, when Tumbleweed mentions clearing the CMOS - he's referring to using the jumper on the motherboard for that [you move the jumper from the pins it's currently on ("Normal") to the pins for clearing the settings ("Clear") - and then put things back to Normal after a few seconds - your manual will have the settings for that, and sometimes it's printed right there on the motherboard itself (take a look with a magnifying glass & a flashlight)]. You will also be clearing the CMOS if you leave the old battery out for five or ten minutes before replacing it with the new one.

If worse comes to worse, you may have to remove your front USB cable, and try things that way. The wiring can be a little tricky, not all motherboards have the newer "keyed" one-piece USB connector [on some older motherboards, you have to connect each pin individually]. If that's how it is on your board, you'll definitely need your manual, to get the wiring exactly (and avoid overvoltage possibilities). If you've somehow got a faulty USB cable (you'd have to be very unlucky to get a bad one - they are very simple) - you can always try another. Or you could try adding a PCI USB 2.0 card.

Try not to risk too much on replacement parts -- unless the joy of hands-on learning outweighs the simple economics of today's cheaper parts. Complete desktop PCs are as low as $350, and fairly powerful laptops go as low as $450. So your best-choice replacement parts for Win98 era hardware are the ones that are free, or nearly so.

---Ah, and one last thing: for you best chance to enter setup, try pressing the key mentioned in the banner message several times as computer is powering on. If not before, try to have the key pressed as soon as you see the Bios memory test start. That might let you in to look at the settings.

Best of luck!
. . . Gary
Old 08-26-2007, 12:37 AM   #9
Registered Member

Hey Guys,

Once again, I would like to Thank "Tumbleweed36," "OldGrayGary," and "Jlp1928" for their assistance. Thankyou

According to Tumbleweed36's and Gary's advice, I cleared CMOS memory and installed a new battery. I unplugged the Front USB and tried to re-Boot. The PC booted up normally. I guess the Front USB wasn't compatible with the motherboard (Gigabyte).

Thanks for your Instructions and Advice.

Best Regards,
ZoOoM
Old 08-26-2007, 03:57 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

You are most welcome. Glad you have it resolved so you can use the thing anyway. Don't be a stranger on here now, stick around and enjoy the forum.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:19 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Hi again Zoom

Thanks for the feedback. One small insignificant point: It's Commonly called clearing the CMOS but, actually does nothing to the BIOS, but only clears the BIOS SETUP which is the info you can alter. Some info in the SETUP can get corrupted and cannot be corrected from the BIOS Setup so requires a Clear. Some setups will do the clear for you. Don't know where it is stored today, but originally was not even stored in the BIOS chip.

Jim