Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Win 98 & ME Support

[SOLVED] Problem using USB flash drive with Windows 98.

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Problem using USB flash drive with Windows 98. within the Win 98 & ME Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

Please help.

I’m not very computer literate. I have an old computer. It runs on Windows 98. I was after more storage, and was advised that a certain brand of USB Flash drives – “adata” had drivers that would make them compatible with my operating system.

I purchased a C802 classic series USB adata flash drive.

Adata mentioned a web site on their packaging -

www.adata-group.com

I went there, then clicked “global English”. Went to “download” – near top of screen, and selected “driver”.

At “search by driver type”, I entered my code : C802. A 289KB setup file appeared. I downloaded this onto my computer, then double clicked the file. It appeared to install.

I then inserted the flash drive into my computer’s USB port, and clicked a JPEG I wanted to move to the flash drive; as a test. I only was offered my regular locations as an option to save the file – floppy disk, my briefcase etc… - the flash drive wasn’t an option.

I don’t believe the problem is with the flash drive itself. I’m currently using it at another, newer computer. I’ve inserted the USB into this computer’s USB port. When I right click a file I want to save, I can scroll down to “send to”, and one of the options I’m given is -

A-DATA UFD (F:)

In other words, I can save files onto the USB from this computer – which doesn’t run on Windows 98, but not on my own, which does run on Windows 98.

I’ve e-mailed the company – using the address provided –

adata@adata.com.tw

twice over the last week, but haven’t had any reply.

I’m open to installing a free, multi purpose driver, but where would one get this?

I’ve tested the USB port on my computer with other devices – for example, the mouse. It works fine.

The Windows 98 I have is first edition.

Appologies if there’s been an answer to this question already posted. I did look. Saw a post about using a USB joystick, but I gather a flash drive is different from that.

Thanks,

Mr Computer troubles.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:35 AM   #2

You have to unzip the file first, then run setup in 98. setup will have a picture of a monitor and disc, not a sqaure box.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:16 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.

I probably should have included this in my original post -

I have already unzipped the download from the adata web site. The setup graphic IS of a monitor and a disk.

I double left click the set up. I get a welcome message. Click next. Then click install. It seems to install. I click "finish". A message appears on the screen -

"Please re-plugin USB Flask Disk!!"

I then plug in the USB Flash Drive into the USB port. Then go to a JPEG - to test sending it to the Flash Drive. Scroll up to "send to", but the only options I get are the ones I've always had - 3 ½ floppy (A), My Briefcase, My Documents etc...
Old 07-31-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

If you open 'My Computer" does it show there?

"Hardware: the parts of a computer that can be kicked!"

Please don't send me PM's for support. Post in the forums for everyone to benefit.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Hi Cam,

I am useing a USB2 generic driver for 98SE called NUSB33E.EXE. Don't know where I got it. You may find it by searching for it. They also have one called NUSB20E.EXE supposedly for USB1. Works great for every flash drive I have tried and some other devices as well.

Good Luck, Jim
Old 07-31-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies Kev and Jim.

No, it doesn’t show up in "my computer" – not on my own computer, but the USB DOES show up in "my computer" when I insert the flash drive into another person’s computer that doesn’t run on Windows 98.

Aren’t those general drivers you mentioned for Windows 98 second edition? I’ve got first edition.

Before posting this problem, I Googled Windows 98 second edition general driver, and found this page –

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

I downloaded "Windows 98 First Edition (4.10.1998)" then went through the instilation steps I mentioned above. It seemed to install, but again, when I click “my computer”, or try to do a “send to” there’s no mention of the flash drive.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

The info from MS here (and here) may be of assistance to you.

Please don't send me PM's for support. Post in the forums for everyone to benefit.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:58 AM   #8

http://www3.pny.com/support/support_landing_subcat.aspx?SectionID=1083&RootSectionID=1057&TypeID=5

I have 4 GIG PNY Attache bought at Walmart. Went to the PNY site and downloaded the 128mg-16 GIG, even though it said 98se usb 2.0. Extracted the file and opened the folder to three files. put those three files on a floppy and put it in a 98 machine, plugged in the PNY and new hardware wizard came up and searched for best driver, then directed it to the floppy. It works in 98 1st and SE and all usb's. Formatted the PNY to Fat32 first. Not much help on your flash, but this got a flash working for me in 98.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:09 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Hi again Cam,

I don't remember for sure but NUSB33.EXE may work in 98 first edition as well. I will load it on another of my spare comps. Maybe the install will tell me where to get it and for sure what it works with. I think maybe all that is required is that the comp have USB and for USB 2 that it supports USB 2. Will get back to you later today.

Jim
Old 08-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
Registered Member

Hello Kev, Hitech, and Jim.

MANY thanks for your help. I really appreciate your time.

OK.

Firstly, I had a look at those links. Think this could be the most helpful section -

Repair Entries in the Usb.inf File

because I DO get that message -

Windows did not detect a mouse attached to the computer. You can safely attach a serial mouse now.

To attach a mouse to a PS/2 port, you must first turn the computer off.

From my limited knowledge, that led me to believe that the problem is with my old computer, and not the driver. So, for the moment, I've put your excellent suggestions regarding drivers to one side, and tried to fix the computer. If you think I'm wrong in doing this Hitech, and Jim, please let me know.

OK.

So I started to go through those steps -

Restart your computer, press and hold CTRL, and then choose Safe Mode from the Startup Menu.
Click Start, point to Settings and then click Control Panel.
Double-click System, and then click the Device Manager tab.
Double-click the USB controller, click the General tab, click to select the Disable in this hardware profile check box.
Click OK, click Close, and then restart your computer.
Click Start, point to Settings and then click Control Panel.
Double-click System, and then click the Device Manager tab.
Double-click the USB controller, click the General tab, click to clear the Disable in this hardware profile check box.
Click OK, click Close, and then restart your computer.

Found the "Universal serial bus controller". There's a graphic to the left of the writing. The graphic looks a bit like a grey pitchfork on its side, with the three prongs pointing to the right. To the left of this graphic is a "+" symbol.

But got into trouble at this point -

When I double left click "Universal serial bus controller", the "+" turns into a "-", and two extra lines of text appear -

"SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller"

and under that -

"USB Root Hub"

Each of these lines are indented. Each also has the grey pitchfork graphic, but no "+" or "-" symbol.

The instructions on that web site don't mention anything like this.

I then click the "general" tab, but can't understand the instruction "click to select the Disable in this hardware profile check box".

I know you've already done quite a bit. Again, thanks. If you could please talk me (er, TYPE me) through what I should do now, in terms that are really easy to follow I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Cheers,

Cam.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #11

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/185836

See what happens when you run the system file checker per link above.
click details when it is done
Old 08-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #12
Registered Member

Thanks for that suggestion hitech

When I’m back in front of my own computer – in about 5 hours, I’ll try that link, and make another post – to let you know how I get on.

Really appreciate the help!

Cheers,

Cam.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:21 AM   #13
Registered Member

Thanks.

Did all that.

Here's what appeared on the screen -

System File Checker has finished scanning your files.

Folders examined 204
Files examined 1631

Files added to verification data file 0
Files removed from verification data file 0
Files updated from verification data file 0

Files restored 0
File changes ignored 0

I then restarted the computer, checked "my computer", but the USB wasn't there.

Further suggestions more than welcome.

8-)
Old 08-03-2009, 04:00 AM   #14

What is the make and model number of your pc? Have the USB ports ever worked like with a printer? Sis 7001 Usb sounds fairly recent for a 98 pc. Did you have to install drivers for these ports?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:19 AM   #15
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.

The computer is an IBM Aptiva, bought in 1999, model number KB-9910. That's the model number on the original keyboard - couldn't see a model number on the hard drive.

There's a sticker on the front of the hard drive that says - designed for Microsoft Windows 98.

No, I've never plugged a printer into the USB, but have plugged a mouse in there. Have a mouse in the USB at the moment.

7001 Usb, well, I recently downloaded two drivers - I explain about those above, but I still can't use the flash drive.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:22 AM   #16

If you have a ps2 mouse, turn off the computer, unplug the usb mouse and plug in the ps2 mouse. Turn on pc and plug in the flash to the usb that had the mouse. open my computer and see if you have removable disk showing. See if this eliminates the front usb not working. Also you can see if your usb mouse works in the front usb.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:59 AM   #17
Registered Member

Hey.

Thanks for your post.

Yes, I have a ps2 mouse - a mouse with the ball at the bottom rather than the new type of mouse - the type with the red light at the bottom.

Just did what you suggested, but no sign of removable disk or USB or anything along those lines in "my computer"

As for "front" usb, I'm not quite sure what that means. I only have one usb port on this computer - it's at the back, next to the where the old style mouse - (green plug) plugs in.

I've just unplugged the USB drive from the USB port, and plugged in the new style mouse in there. Now I have two mouses plugged in at the same time, they both work.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

Perhaps it would be worth your time to get a PCI USB card and install it. This will give you 3-4 USB ports independent of the motherboard and should allow you to connect any USB device you like. Get one from any computer store - not expensive.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #19
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions Kev.

Forgive me; I really don't know a lot about computers -

It seems to me that the problem is with the software, rather than hardware. If I get a PCI USB card and install it, are you sure that will fix the problem? In other words; does the card you've mentioned have it's own software attached?

And -

If I did get a PCI USB card installed, then plugged a flash drive into one of the new USB ports, would the flash drive definitely show up in "my computer", and be an available option when I pointed on a jpeg and scrolled down to "send to"?

Thanks again for your suggestions
Old 08-04-2009, 08:43 AM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

Hi again Cam,

The problem is that even when you get the USB working USB Flash Devices will still not work without a driver. You will need a driver from the Device maker for 98 or something similar to the NUSB33E.EXE I mentioned earlier. I did load it on a spare machine. It says 98SE Only. No download info was given only "Native USB Disk Driver for Win98SE". There are lots of info found for that by searching for NUSB33E.EXE. Maybe you will get some help there.

Good Luck, Jim