Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Win 98 & ME Support

Programming the "F" keys???

This is a discussion on Programming the "F" keys??? within the Win 98 & ME Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I hope I am posting in the right section. I tried a search of the site first, came up

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 09:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Hello, I hope I am posting in the right section. I tried a search of the site first, came up with nothing. I am wondering if there is a way to program the "F" keys?
For example, I would like the F1 key when pushed, to type the word "thanks". Is this possible? If not, what the heck are those 12 keys for? I kind of did a search on the internet about it, everything I found is in some kind of lingo I don't understand, and it also seems like you have to have Windows XP? I had my PC long before XP was released, so those keys were used for something before that?
Just wondering if what I am asking about, can be done?

Thanks,

J. Lackmann

Old 05-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to NikkiC Send a message via MSN to NikkiC Send a message via Yahoo to NikkiC
i dont think you can change them, the F1 key is for help, F5 is for refreshing the web page and F11 is for full screen, i have no idea what the rest of those do.

Old 05-02-2006, 03:12 PM   #3
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

One of the set of 12 keys at the top of a standard computer keyboard. These keys are labelled F1 through F12. The keys are basically general purpose extra keys so that programmers can assign the keys to special functions in their programs. One handy and common use of F3 in applications is to "Find again," or find the value again for which you most recently searched.

Don't remap the reserved keys such as control, escape, or the function keys that are assigned a task by default. You need to be able to do the three finger salute or get in the BIOS.

Some function keys have no default assignment, such as F12. But, there is a boot menu function being used by some computer manufacturers to when you press F12 you get a boot menu.
F1 is used for Help
F8 is normally used to boot into Safe Mode.
F11 is now being used for some newer Dell computers to restore the o.s. when pressed at boot. F11 when pressed gives you full screen as stated

Quote:
I would like the F1 key when pushed, to type the word "thanks". Is this possible?
What program are you tryng to use this in?

WORD and WORKS do macros, and I'm sure you can find a way to
do it in any application.

Look over this link, it may give you an idea on what the keys are used for.
http://www.mozilla.org/access/keyboard/mozilla

The list below specifies the default assignments for the enhanced function keys, but you can reassign many of them using IntelliType Pro keyboard software.

Enhanced Function Key

(F1) Help -- Opens the Help system (if any) for the active window.

(F2) Office Home -- Starts the Web browser and goes to the Office Web site.

(F3) Task Pane -- Shows or hides the Office task pane previously displayed.

(F4)New command.-- Creates a new document in programs that support this

(F5) Open -- Opens a document in programs that support this command.

(F6) Close -- Closes the document or file in the active window.

(F7) Reply -- Replies to the e-mail in the active window.

(F8) Forward -- Forwards the e-mail in the active window.

(F9) Send -- Sends the e-mail in the active window.

(F10) Spell -- Starts the spell-checking program in the active document, if the document’s program has this feature.

(F11) Save -- Saves the file in the active window

http://www.svecc.com/hot_keys.htm
Old 05-02-2006, 09:37 PM   #4
Registered Member

Ok, I didn't realize those keys did all that.

Quote: "What program are you tryng to use this in?"

None, I don't think? What I was hoping to do was, program one of those "F" keys to enter in a password. I have many, many websites/messageboards that require me to type in a password before entering, and I pretty much have the same password for everything, so instead of typing my password all the time, I was hoping to do it with pressing of just 1 key.

Looks kind of complicated and I think I will just leave everything alone.

JL
Old 05-03-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

Good choice
Old 05-08-2006, 06:53 AM   #6
Registered Member

Pencil

There are many programs that may arrange your F keys to do various things. F keys are used a lot in computer video games and each one has a distinctive function/interaction according to the game. Anyhow, you shouldn't always think that the F keys on your keyboard are the only way to do all the work for you.

Hmm, you said that you want to use F keys to enter user names or passwords and such other things? Well..you can do without them with a software called Roboform. It does the thing that you imply. You can go at www.downloads.com and type roboform for search.

Here's the download with the latest version.
http://www.download.com/RoboForm/3000-2092_4-10502671.html
Note: The site may not be working due to updates.Go to the main site, if it doesn't work.

I hope this may help you
Old 06-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMTSfan View Post
Ok, I didn't realize those keys did all that.

Quote: "What program are you tryng to use this in?"

None, I don't think? What I was hoping to do was, program one of those "F" keys to enter in a password. I have many, many websites/messageboards that require me to type in a password before entering, and I pretty much have the same password for everything, so instead of typing my password all the time, I was hoping to do it with pressing of just 1 key.

Looks kind of complicated and I think I will just leave everything alone.

JL
Just a thought but Ai roboform is great for that. i wouldn't live without it.