Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Win 98 & ME Support

Problem with MSI file

This is a discussion on Problem with MSI file within the Win 98 & ME Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Running Windows ME. I installed some software, then after trying it, found that it was pretty much useless. I uninstalled

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

Running Windows ME.

I installed some software, then after trying it, found that it was pretty much useless. I uninstalled it, didn't restart. Then I found a remaining file of it in Program files/common files/[forget the name exactly, but the folder was something like "0}"] ...
I deleted the file in there called setup_blazemp.msi. But now there's still the entry for the program in the uninstall program option/tab. It says I can't uninstall it without this .msi file. Is there any way to get this msi file back so that I can fully uninstall it? I've tried restarting a few times to see if that did it but.. nothing.
Thanks. I guess I shouldn't have deleted it xd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2007, 12:29 AM   #2
Not...

Hi,
Try reinstalling the program - then uninstall it again.

Nicholas
Old 04-04-2007, 01:22 AM   #3
Registered Member

Ok, I did that a few times and still doesn't change anything.

In the program 'CCleaner' I tried uninstalling and deleting the entry that way (it usually works using that program). When I try to delete the entry it says "Cannot delete MSI installer" right away. When I try uninstalling it, I get the message "The feature you are trying to use is on network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'SETUP_BLAZEMP.msi' in the box below."

But there is no SETUP_BLAZEMP.msi. In Program files/common files/~0 there is a SETUP_BLAZEMP.exe, but no .msi... I searched the computer for it too, and nothing. Strange?
Old 04-04-2007, 01:31 AM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

OS: Windows 98se/2000/XP/Vista/7/8 Pro/10 Pro/10 "Insider" / Linux(various)

Hi Kittay

When you searched, did you have Windows Explorer set to show hidden and system files? If not, try that.

Do you still have the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility around? If not, here's the link --- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 --- it should work for WinMe. See if it has any better luck.

There's also the trick to use the Registry Editor's "Find" function [open regedit, make sure that My Computer is selected, and then use the Find function from the "Edit" menu on the toolbar]. You'd search for string "Blazemp" (without the quotes) ... and delete the entries you find.

You can create a restore point beforehand, in case you accidentally delete something important :)

Best of luck
. . . Gary
Closed Thread